Poll: Are You Guilty of Toilet Texting? New Study Says You Probably Are...

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
toddler-texting-on-potty.jpg

Have we become so attached to our smartphones that we must use them even while on the toilet? A new study by marketing research firm, 11mark, says that we are. According to their survey of 1000 people, 75% of mobile users used their devices on the crapper. Even more telling is that for people between 28 to 35, that figure jumps to 91%. In fact, their survey also shared that folks of various ages, regardless of gender, regularly talk, text, shop, use apps, or surf the Web, while doing their daily "business." The only exception is, unsurprisingly, that folks above 65 years of age were less likely, with the figure dropping down to just 47%.

However, not only do many people have no qualms about playing with their mobile devices while waiting for their "cargo to drop", but things get stranger than that. Here's a quote from the New York Times article with some more gritty details:

One-quarter of Americans say they will not go to the bathroom without their devices. While 63 percent have answered calls, 41 percent have called someone else while enthroned. Sixteen percent in the 28-to-35 group, the youngest sample surveyed, have made purchases there. A mere 8 percent of the oldest group have felt such retail urgency. Understandably, given their infrequent chances at privacy, people with children are more likely to talk on the phone than are the childless. Single people are far more likely than the mated to text.

Hope you are sitting down for this: 20 percent of males have at one time joined a conference call from the toilet. Thirteen percent of American women have participated in meetings from the john. That is every fifth male co-worker, and every eighth female colleague.

Here's one last interesting factoid from the study... apparently "Android owners are more likely than owners of other phones to use them on the toilet." So, that's the skinny of it. We are so digitally connected, even during the evacuation of our bowels and bladders, that we don't mind sharing the experience.

We thought this was such an engaging and important topic, that it deserved a poll from our own members. So, sound off your opinion in the thread, and don't forget to vote in the poll at the top: Do you sometimes, frequently or never use your mobile device in the restroom? Or, would you prefer not to say, because you don't discuss such delicate matters. Oh, and... feel free to answer while you are on the pot. ;)

Sidenote: I have to ask the question: Why on earth would a marketing research firm even want to study this? Do they plan on targeting potential customers with "Charmin" commercials, or do they want to figure out the best time to try and sell you "Imodium-AD"?

Source: NYTimes
Image Source: Mumsnet

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Guilty. :happy:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Pssh, I've had phone calls on the toilet. As long as they don't notice the echo, who cares. Its not like I bring them into the bathroom with me.

J

JohnDroid

Pssh, I've had phone calls on the toilet. As long as they don't notice the echo, who cares. Its not like I bring them into the bathroom with me.

Exactly. I hardly EVER go into the throne-room without my phone. Have to do something while I'm in there and if it's not that it's a book.

techgov8

Reaction score
I bring my phone and laptop in there. I make phone calls and text. Ill tell you I'm taking a dump haha I don't care

alboboy10

Reaction score
Strange. I sat on my toilet. Opened Droid forums apps. And the first topic I see is this one.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty. But I have never made a call lol. And I use my other hand haha

X

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strange. I sat on my toilet. Opened Droid forums apps. And the first topic I see is this one.
haha, i was just wondering if anyone would say that:rofl3:

i text, and use apps all the time on the toilet, i still think its kind of weird to take and especially make phone calls from there...how do you start that phone call?
you-hey how are you?
them-oh not much, what about--what was that sound?
you-sorry im on the crapper, just ignore those sounds...:p

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question that just popped into my head... has any male in the forums ever been brave enough to talk on their smartphone while peeing, and accidentally dropped it in the toilet?

tedankel

Reaction score
Here's an interesting question that just popped into my head... has any male in the forums ever been brave enough to talk on their smartphone while peeing, and accidentally dropped it in the toilet?

Knew some female co-workers who's phones went "swimming"...once.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Vakharn

Reaction score
I don't call or text from the toilet usually, but that's just down to the fact that A: I don't make many phone calls, and B: I don't even have a texting plan. I do however browse the internet on the john and even make purchases. Part of it is down to the fact that I don't have much of an opportunity to do such things at work when I'm not on the toilet, and the other part is that I require incessant entertainment.