Pocket Empires is ********** ME OFF

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
This thread is startingg to pop up everywhere on android forums now. Over on reddit someoneposted a chatlog of the developers awarding 1000 free gems to all who help spam the game to get more players

This is the root of the issue. The developers are the source of the spam! I wonder if reporting this to Google would do anything...

As a side note, I don't really support killing ads on apps that you enjoy. I will probably develop an app within the next couple months, but this kind of stuff almost discourages me from trying. I believe the New York Times (correct me if I'm wrong) had a good article about how browser ad-blockers are killing the websites you love to visit, despite how annoying ads can be.

If you find the app to be really useful, let the developer recoup the costs, maybe make a little profit. They're not charging you for it!

Last edited:

td854

Reaction score

As a side note, I don't really support killing ads on apps that you enjoy. I will probably develop an app within the next couple months, but this kind of stuff almost discourages me from trying. I believe the New York Times (correct me if I'm wrong) had a good article about how browser ad-blockers are killing the websites you love to visit, despite how annoying ads can be.

If you find the app to be really useful, let the developer recoup the costs, maybe make a little profit. They're not charging you for it!

I understand what you're trying to say, but afaik the real "revenue" from ads/banners comes from actually clicking on them, and even then if you don't click on them and you're not looking at them to begin with, there's really no harm done. I don't watch commercials on TV when I rarely do watch TV, why? DVR. In fact the whole reason I've stopped watching TV for the most part are commercials in the first place. Chances are the ones that are using the ad blocking software to begin with, are the ones that never look at or click the ads to begin with. Anyway, just my two cents.

droidberg

Reaction score
This thread is really great, but you know what's even better? Pocket Empires absolutely rules! Use reference code omfg for 100 free gems!!!

Yeah, it's annoying.

SpykeZ

Reaction score
This thread is really great, but you know what's even better? Pocket Empires absolutely rules! Use reference code omfg for 100 free gems!!!

Yeah, it's annoying.

ooooo I see what you did thar! Lucky too, I was gunna donkey punch you for that. :icon_eek:

Varking

Reaction score
The developers posted they will be banning people who spam their codes in the reviews of other games.

OP
PolyOlefin

PolyOlefin

Reaction score

I understand what you're trying to say, but afaik the real "revenue" from ads/banners comes from actually clicking on them, and even then if you don't click on them and you're not looking at them to begin with, there's really no harm done. I don't watch commercials on TV when I rarely do watch TV, why? DVR. In fact the whole reason I've stopped watching TV for the most part are commercials in the first place. Chances are the ones that are using the ad blocking software to begin with, are the ones that never look at or click the ads to begin with. Anyway, just my two cents.

I also understand what you're trying to say, and agree somewhat. It's true that ad impressions don't necessarily translate to CTR (click through rates), and on average, CTR for AdMob is roughly 0.5% to 2%. However, blocking ads decreases the CTR potential to 0.00% for the developer; I think only developers truly understand how painful this number really is.

By blocking ads on apps you use consistently, you're saying, "I like using the thing you created for me, but I don't think you deserve the chance to get anything in return".

I don't watch TV either, but I do watch Hulu. And while I dislike advertising in general, I understand how essential those 30-second ads are for the content to be available for free.

Or at least, free for the time being.

Last edited:

metalblood

Reaction score
Play pocket empires I'll give you 1000 gems... just kidding. It's annoying. I always mark as spam.