Pls help, busybox install failure caused bootloop. Can rescue SMS, Sticky Notes, etc?

Lunaticory

Reaction score
I have a, not very recent, nandroid backup from 1 month ago.
I can access stock oem bootloader & "Android system recovery utility".

Is it possible to repair, fix, access, or recover my user data?

Who how where what now?

TIA!,
Cor.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)

Who how where what now?

TIA!,
Cor.

In future use sms backup+ or similar
Saves on sd card

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

Jonas

Reaction score
Sticky notes won't be able to be recovered. For future reference, evernote does back up your notes. Also go sms backs your texts. Those are both fantastic programs, and I use both. Good luck on fixing your phone.

Sent from my Banana Phone

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score

It indeed might be possible, if you didn't do anything in your Recovery yet (or didn't SBF the phone), and you have USB debugging enabled. Everything depends on whether you will be able to get into the CWM. You will need adb (comes with Pete's Motorola Root Tools, and every single “easy root script” for DROID3 and the likes).

Open a Windows command shell (if you're on Windows) or a Terminal (on Linux and MacOS), and navigate to where adb.exe is.

Power the phone on, and once the red Motorola logo goes away, type “adb shell reboot recovery”. adb might throw an error, just repeat the command by pressing Up, Enter. Repeat until adb doesn't show an error like “cannot connect to device”. If the command succeeds, the phone will reboot, and get you into ClockworkMod Recovery. Perform a backup from there, and then roll back to your previous backup. When the previous backup is restored, go to Advanced Restore, and choose to restore /data only from your new backup. This will restore your user data completely, including all the apps you had installed, but excluding busybox and such.

(Busybox is installed by Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery anyway.)

OP
L

Lunaticory

Reaction score
Good app suggestions guys.

Will certainly give ADB-into-CWM method a go [been thinkin bout tryin to push busybox].
Is good to hear, since no device-alone methods [ie. key combo's & such] have worked.

MUCH appreciated!

TBC...

Last edited: