*PLEASE VOTE* Old versions of apps install upon new rom startup

kwest12

Reaction score
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ, PLEASE AT LEAST VOTE ABOVE ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE:

THE CIRCUMSTANCE:
When flashing a new rom, you have the option to allow google to re-download all the apps that you had installed before wiping the data. It will automatically do this if you log into your account on firstboot and you previously had the "backup my data" option checked under Settings > Privacy in your previous rom.

THE PROBLEM:
The apps that downloaded and installed automatically are old versions of the apps you had installed for no apparent reason. This makes for a less than "fresh" start as you immediately begin with an outdated set up apps that require updating (some apps spefically tell you to uninstall before installing their new versions which adds another layer of trouble for you).

MY SITUATION:
I'm attempting to make the transition from rubix 1.9.7 to rubix 2.0.1. My intent is to use the market backup system as I feel it's a cleaner method of reinstalling my apps. My excitement of testing a new great rom has disolved into pure unadulterated rage at the utter failure of this seemingly svelt backup system. I've take some extremely lengthy steps in an attempt to get it working correctly and all it's gotten me is increased blood pressure. The main problem is that somewhere along the way, google has decided to either retain old data on the apps I have installed AND the versions of those apps. When I first boot up after a flash of 2.0.1, enter my account and let it go to town, I'll take a peek at the market and find that it is downloading old versions of about 15 of my apps (and I think it even downloads some apps that I've completely uninstalled).

STEPS I'VE TAKEN TO TRY TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE:
  • I've done a factory data reset, cache wipe and dalvik cache wipe.
  • I've done an sdcard backup and then reformat, followed by an full 2.3.340 sbf.
  • I've skipped firstboot setup stuff and gone to the setting > privacy and unchecked "backup my data" and THEN entered my account. I then re-enable the "backup my data" and let it sit for a while (supposedly storing a list of my apps / data) before unchecking that option again and answering "yes" when it tells me it will be deleting all the data (supposedly flushing everything associated with this account).
  • I've re-added the data I backed up to my sdcard and then flashed a recovery I made of my rubix 1.9.7 system prior to the wipe/sbf (backup my data has been disabled on this recovery image).
  • I wipe cache & dalvik cache, use an app to clear app most of the app caches and then re-check "backup my data" (supposedly backing up the current version of all the apps I want to install on rubix 2.0.1)
  • I boot to clockwork, format/wipe data, cache and dalvik cache and either flash rubix 2.0.1 or recover to the "right-after-sbf" image and THEN flash rubix 2.0.1. (if I use a restore image, I wipe data, cache and dalvik cache before flashing rubix).
  • I enter my account info and allow it to backup my data at the firstboot options and the market goes to town.
  • I check the market and everything is downloading as expect, only once they've installed, about 15 of them show updates are available. I check the versions installed and sure enough, they're old versions.

ABOUT MY STEPS:
  • I've been through this process at least 8 times trying various permutations.
  • I have used both clockwork and the stock recovery to do the wipes/formats.
  • I'm careful to only have a single google account setup on the phone throughout the entire process.
  • I vary the checking and unchecking of "backup my data" after a recovery to stock.
  • I do have Tinanium Backup and MyBackup Pro, but I install no apps (especially not these ones) on stock or on rubix 2.0.1
  • I have tried clearing the market app and market updater data many many times.

I'm out of ideas and frankly, quite frustrated (that's saying it very nicely). Any help would be welcome. FYI, I'm not about to start fresh an try to reinstall all my roms and leave my sdcard wiped. Thanks in advance for voting and/or helping.

Last edited:

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ, PLEASE AT LEAST VOTE ABOVE ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE:

THE CIRCUMSTANCE:
When flashing a new rom, you have the option to allow google to re-download all the apps that you had installed before wiping the data. It will automatically do this if you log into your account on firstboot and you previously had the "backup my data" option checked under Settings > Privacy in your previous rom.

THE PROBLEM:
The apps that downloaded and installed automatically are old versions of the apps you had installed for no apparent reason. This makes for a less than "fresh" start as you immediately begin with an outdated set up apps that require updating (some apps spefically tell you to uninstall before installing their new versions which adds another layer of trouble for you).

MY SITUATION:
I'm attempting to make the transition from rubix 1.9.7 to rubix 2.0.1. My intent is to use the market backup system as I feel it's a cleaner method of reinstalling my apps. My excitement of testing a new great rom has disolved into pure unadulterated rage at the utter failure of this seemingly svelt backup system. I've take some extremely lengthy steps in an attempt to get it working correctly and all it's gotten me is increased blood pressure. The main problem is that somewhere along the way, google has decided to either retain old data on the apps I have installed AND the versions of those apps. When I first boot up after a flash of 2.0.1, enter my account and let it go to town, I'll take a peek at the market and find that it is downloading old versions of about 15 of my apps (and I think it even downloads some apps that I've completely uninstalled).

STEPS I'VE TAKEN TO TRY TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE:
  • I've done a factory data reset, cache wipe and dalvik cache wipe.
  • I've done an sdcard backup and then reformat, followed by an full 2.3.340 sbf.
  • I've skipped firstboot setup stuff and gone to the setting > privacy and unchecked "backup my data" and THEN entered my account. I then re-enable the "backup my data" and let it sit for a while (supposedly storing a list of my apps / data) before unchecking that option again and answering "yes" when it tells me it will be deleting all the data (supposedly flushing everything associated with this account).
  • I've re-added the data I backed up to my sdcard and then flashed a recovery I made of my rubix 1.9.7 system prior to the wipe/sbf (backup my data has been disabled on this recovery image).
  • I wipe cache & dalvik cache, use an app to clear app most of the app caches and then re-check "backup my data" (supposedly backing up the current version of all the apps I want to install on rubix 2.0.1)
  • I boot to clockwork, format/wipe data, cache and dalvik cache and either flash rubix 2.0.1 or recover to the "right-after-sbf" image and THEN flash rubix 2.0.1. (if I use a restore image, I wipe data, cache and dalvik cache before flashing rubix).
  • I enter my account info and allow it to backup my data at the firstboot options and the market goes to town.
  • I check the market and everything is downloading as expect, only once they've installed, about 15 of them show updates are available. I check the versions installed and sure enough, they're old versions.

ABOUT MY STEPS:
  • I've been through this process at least 8 times trying various permutations.
  • I have used both clockwork and the stock recovery to do the wipes/formats.
  • I'm careful to only have a single google account setup on the phone throughout the entire process.
  • I vary the checking and unchecking of "backup my data" after a recovery to stock.
  • I do have Tinanium Backup and MyBackup Pro, but I install no apps (especially not these ones) on stock or on rubix 2.0.1
  • I have tried clearing the market app and market updater data many many times.

I'm out of ideas and frankly, quite frustrated (that's saying it very nicely). Any help would be welcome. FYI, I'm not about to start fresh an try to reinstall all my roms and leave my sdcard wiped. Thanks in advance for voting and/or helping.

Quite a few apps from the market are installed on install and first boot of rubix. This isn't something I've updated.

Simply wipe data before install, then again after, before you boot into the rom (never leave clockworkmod till after 2nd wipe). It'll give you a full, clean rom, and should give new market apps to either sync, or if need be, be re-downloaded.

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Quite a few apps from the market are installed on install and first boot of rubix. This isn't something I've updated.

Simply wipe data before install, then again after, before you boot into the rom (never leave clockworkmod till after 2nd wipe). It'll give you a full, clean rom, and should give new market apps to either sync, or if need be, be re-downloaded.

I'll give it a shot drod but I highly doubt that your rom installs stuff like GO sms, GO launcher, this one obscure ebay app i have used, etc etc etc... This seems to be some other sort of an issue, not something that rubix is installing.

It almost seems like the google servers synced with my rubix 1.9.7 configuration a few weeks back and then haven't done it since. There's apps that I deleted a while ago that are downloading with slightly older versions and then a few of the more recent installs don't seem to be showing....

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
I have TIBU but I personally feel it's a cleaner method to let stuff reinstall from the market (more of a fresh start). Maybe I'm being overly cautious and should just go back to TIBU though...

Thanks for the awesome experience google! *facepalm*

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have TIBU but I personally feel it's a cleaner method to let stuff reinstall from the market (more of a fresh start). Maybe I'm being overly cautious and should just go back to TIBU though...

Thanks for the awesome experience google! *facepalm*

you can always force a backup. i can't remember the exact commands right now, but if you open adb, plug your phone in, and type:

adb shell
bmgr

it should big you a list. i think the option is just "backup" (no quotes) but I'm in a hurry atm and can't check :) I'll check when I get home tonight

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
you can always force a backup. i can't remember the exact commands right now, but if you open adb, plug your phone in, and type:

adb shell
bmgr

it should big you a list. i think the option is just "backup" (no quotes) but I'm in a hurry atm and can't check :) I'll check when I get home tonight

Wait I can force the google servers to sync my current apps to their servers with the adb command you're gonna look up? That would be awesome, thanks!