PLEASE VERIZON! Fix this issue. You KNOW it exists

jpbellis

Reaction score
There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations (many times after an upgrade to 2.2). Just do a Google search on Droid reporting wrong location. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps, gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 tower based locator services....

Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So, you're trying to use location services with the GPS OFF??

There are a growing number of posts out there referencing Droids reporting seriously wrong locations (many times after an upgrade to 2.2). Just do a Google search on Droid reporting wrong location. Mine was off by 900 miles. I live in CT and it has me outside of Chicago. I've been down all the hard reset and safe mode roads. Verizon tech support acted like they never heard it before and connected me to Motorola... Motorola tech support suggested a replacement device and Verizon agreed... They sent me a new droid and .... guess what ... ITS WRONG TOO. Same issue. I've cleared data and discovered that if you have GPS off it reports wrong (aka tower reporting issues) turn the GPS on and :in some cases: it'll override and report correctly... however if you want to conserve battery life and leave the GPS off it'll be wrong. This manifests itself in wrong mapping, navigation, weather apps, gadgets, news ... and most importantly 911 tower based locator services....

Verizon will fess up and admit a problem when some one gets into an unfortunate accident and calls 911 ... And an ambulance gets dispatched to a location 1000 miles away....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

harrellj

Reaction score
Also, I believe part of E911 is that it enables the GPS just so that it IS accurate.

js0724

Reaction score
So, you're trying to use location services with the GPS OFF??

My thoughts exactly. Why would you expect location to be accurate with GPS off?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe I read that somewhere honestly...can't remember where though.

Also, I believe part of E911 is that it enables the GPS just so that it IS accurate.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I can't believe that they gave you a replacement for a perfectly working phone and they wont replace mine with a broken power button. :icon_evil:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had to call 911 on my phone to report a drunk driver. He had a tree stuck to his rear axle, no joke, and almost took out guardrails. He kept swerving, flashing his turn signals, and drifting all over the road.

It connected me via the closest tower. Yes, it was a county over, but that was the strongest signal I had. As soon as the location was ID'd they transferred to the proper county.

It didn't turn the GPS on, but it might open a channel for some 911 systems to activate the GPS system if it's needed for whatever reason. And it connects to the nearest tower, so even though Maps might be wrong, the phone knows where it is.