Please sign this petition to get the bootloader unlocked on the Droid X

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good luck but I dont see motorola taking that step. If you want an unlocked bootloader the nexus is the way to go. With that said they have been able to do a lot with the dx. Infact the only thing the can not do is change the kernel.

OP
M

MikeSpears

Reaction score
Good luck but I dont see motorola taking that step. If you want an unlocked bootloader the nexus is the way to go. With that said they have been able to do a lot with the dx. Infact the only thing the can not do is change the kernel.
People have tried petitions before, but they have NEVER sent them via registered mail to Motorola AND Verizon. When things like this are actually forced to be read, things might happen.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It won't change anything. @ibproud had a much better petition organized (including mail, email, calling etc) that didn't help much if at all. At this point its a waste of time to bother. Hate to be a downer but its true..... Ill still sign but don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my D2G

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It won't change anything. @ibproud had a much better petition organized (including mail, email, calling etc) that didn't help much if at all. At this point its a waste of time to bother. Hate to be a downer but its true..... Ill still sign but don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my D2G

^ basically we we petition crazy since January and Motorola didn't blink. That is why I said if you want an unlocked phone for development and rom I highly recommend the nexus.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They're unlocking NEW devices. They have absolutely no reason to unlock old devices considering how much trouble it will be. They will have to do an ota that changes the bootloader to one that can be unlocked. Not to mention they would have to do some type of recovery method (be it fastboot or sbf) that includes the new bootloader because the current sbf's won't work with a different bootloader.

Sent from my D2G

OP
M

MikeSpears

Reaction score
They're unlocking NEW devices. They have absolutely no reason to unlock old devices considering how much trouble it will be. They will have to do an ota that changes the bootloader to one that can be unlocked. Not to mention they would have to do some type of recovery method (be it fastboot or sbf) that includes the new bootloader because the current sbf's won't work with a different bootloader.

Sent from my D2G
They don't have to do an OTA, release it via MotoDEV, also, I'm sure moto has unlocked Droid X's floating around...

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They have to ota it otherwise you have 2 different bootloaders floating around (which is trouble just waiting to happen).

I only know of 2 which Team Black Hat had at one point (I don't know where they are now, think they sold them).

Edit: those 2 were dev x's.

Sent from my D2G

OP
M

MikeSpears

Reaction score
They have to ota it otherwise you have 2 different bootloaders floating around (which is trouble just waiting to happen).

I only know of 2 which Team Black Hat had at one point (I don't know where they are now, think they sold them).

Sent from my D2G
Technically, you could do it the way HTC/Sony's doing it, they have an unlocker, heck Moto did it with the Atrix and the Xoom.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The thing is, Motorola is now looking to unlock bootloaders, we need to really focus on Verizon.

They already have unlocked bootloaders. The issue is do vzw want their droid-line to have unlocked bootloaders. A tipster pointed out that vzw would release atleast one unlocked phone a year to appease those that want it. The Nexus was the unlocked device this year. There are rumors that the New Google owned motorola device may be unlocked and/or be the next Nexus. Of course those are rumors. But vzw having at least one unlockable motorola device in 2012 is a possibility. I think the Nexus is a device is a test device for vzw and google. Verizon gives the customer a unlocked device and see how big of a response it gets. If its decent they probably may continue to keep the nexus line. If its a dud they can say "see people really dont care about unlocked or locked they just want a good device".

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Technically, you could do it the way HTC/Sony's doing it, they have an unlocker, heck Moto did it with the Atrix and the Xoom.

Both of which have unlockable bootloaders. 1 of which isnt even on VZW (which is the main cause of the locked bootloaders...). The atrix also originally had a locked bootloader and was later unlocked after a leaked dev build with an unlockable bootloader was discovered.

OP
M

MikeSpears

Reaction score
Both of which have unlockable bootloaders. 1 of which isnt even on VZW (which is the main cause of the locked bootloaders...). The atrix also originally had a locked bootloader and was later unlocked after a leaked dev build with an unlockable bootloader was discovered.
True, but if there's an unlocked DX floating around, maybe someone can get everything needed to unlock the boot loader from it.