1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Please read this before you ask about SetCPU!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Ok, with the same questions about SetCPU popping up on a daily basis, I decided to make a guide on how to use it. Really it's pretty simple, but it seems like it is the number one problem affecting this section of the forum on a daily basis.

1. First off you MUST be rooted and have a ROM or at the very least an Overclocking Kernel installed or it won't work! If you need a suggestion, I would say that my guide is the easiest, most trouble free way of getting a ROM on your phone WHILE still educating yourself on the process. It comes with an overclocking kernel. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

2. Next, download SetCPU for $0.99 from the Market. The first time you run it, it should ask you if you want to "allow" or "deny". Obviously you are going to choose allow or the program, as you can imagine, wouldn't run without allowing permission.

3. When you boot up SetCPU it will ask you what device you are using. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, SET THE DEVICE TO THE MOTOROLA DROID!!!! Scroll down and select "autodetect". Alternatively if you already messed up (because you didn't search on the forums for what to do with SetCPU before you went ahead and installed it) hit Menu > Device Selection. Here is a screen shot:

[​IMG]

4. Next, go into SetCPU and check the Set on Boot box, and set your sliders to what you want the phone to be standard We will discuss profiles later. Basically your standard, or normal setting that you see on the front screen of SetCPU is going to be what the phone defaults to when NONE of the Profiles (if you are using them) are considered "true". Here is a screen shot of what I have mine set at (I also keep my Governor at "ondemand" which according to the developer makes it faster but uses more battery...the developer says to set it to "conservative" for slightly slower response time but better battery usage):

[​IMG]

5. If you want to set up profiles, click the Profiles button, and then check the "Use Profiles" box. Here is a screen shot of how I have each of mine set up. Notice each profile box must be checked to enable it. Each of the profiles trumps the standard setting. So when my phone is charging, it DOESN'T use the standard setting that you see in step 4, it uses the profile for charging instead. I have the following profiles:

Standard: 550/1000 (I want the phone to have the most juice I can without overtaxing it, so I don't want it to go back down to 250 at any point)
    Charging: 250/550 (This will allow the phone to stay cooler while charging as well as charge faster)
    Sleep: 250/550 (When the phone is locked, I want it to have enough power to not lag when coming out of lock but still not use too much juice so I have it set to the stock setting...this is what helps you save battery)
    When Power is Less Than: <21%...so any time my phone starts running low on battery it goes back to the stock 250/550
    Battery Failsafe: >37C 250/550 ... you can see why I chose this setting for this, here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/22503-tell-me-your-thoughts-setcpu-idea.html

[​IMG]

6. Troubleshooting....if you have followed every last instruction to the T and still can't get your slider to the overclock position that you want, try rebooting your phone, hitting refresh, or or unchecking and rechecking boxes. You really shouldn't still have a problem after all of this, however.

7. Benchmark. To benchmark your system hit the System Info button on the main screen and then the Benchmark button. Usually you need to hit it 5-10 times in slow succession to get a good idea of your average benchmark.

8. If you are concerned about SetCPU, overclocking, and how it will affect your system temps, please go to this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/20580-official-cpu-temp-results.html
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. socalchyd

socalchyd New Member

Very useful but you left out the CPU Governor. In one thread I read it should be set to userpace but noticed your screenshot shows Ondemand. Does it matter?
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Not sure. I've always left it to ondemand and it works fine.
  4. cplus

cplus New Member

Hmmmm.. where is info on cpu gov.. I keep mine set to 'conserative'.
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

This is just to get people to get it working. If they want to tinker around with it afterwards, so be it. I just want to make sure people get the thing to show past 550MHz so they quit saying that SetCPU doesn't work.

If someone can find the information for each of the governors, I'll gladly add it to the guide.
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Everything I am reading about ondemand says it allows you to choose profiles as opposed to overriding those choices.
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

From the developers site:
    With that said I use 'conservative' because it leads to better overall performance for me and seems to throttle better (i.e. it will gradually throttle up and down instead of going to min and max like other methods). Play around as see which settings work best for you.
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

It says right there it is only for better battery performance. No way conservative gives you better CPU performance. They both get you to the same speed but one does it slower than the other.
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

There's noticeble performance difference when performing basic tasks (i.e. navigating home screen, email and other non CPU-heavy activities). The conservative seems to allows the intermittent throttle settings more frequently and do so quicker (i.e. with more sensitivity) than the 'on demand' setting. I also get better benchmarks with the conservative governor (in every benchmark app) so there's absolutely NO performance loss and if it can increase battery life so be it.

But Home++ definitely has a noticeable improvement with the conservative setting.
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I'm just repeating what the developer has indicated...that you are incorrect. It's not going faster. And I'm guessing the developer knows more about their program than our untrained eyes do. Most likely it just feels faster or smoother for whatever reason. At the very best it's not going noticeably SLOWER.

11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Nobody said you have to use it or (heavens forbid TRY IT for yourself) but benchmark tests don't lie... unless you want to argue that too...

I was just putting it out there so people (like you) know not to take everything at face value. If you've ever done any programing you would know that things change and his guide was written during earlier versions and with older kernels... things change and (this might be a shocker) but devs don't always update their guides OR know everything that's going on in their apps (i.e. theory and reality OFTEN differ in programs/tools like this).

If you don't want others contributing to your thread(s) (apparently especially so if/when then offer a counter view) so that you appear to be the 'all knowing' source that's fine I'll simply avoid them from now on.
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I don't really care what you do, but the developer said that option is slower. I was just pointing that out. No need to get hostile.
  13. Abe21599

Abe21599 RS/Moderator

haha i see what you did with your free weekend:icon_ banana:

nice choice - this clears up a question i had with it..
  14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

FYI
    Going off our conversation/bout this morning I decided to switch my governor to your beloved 'on demand' setting and... sure enough lost ALL profiles and throttling (i.e. none of the profiles worked and hitting 'refresh' on the main screen always showed the CPU stuck on max) ...
    I switched back to 'conservative' and they are all working again. SetCPU is throttling the speeds (i.e. hitting 'refresh' on the SetCPU page shows it cycling between all frequencies) and all the profiles are followed correctly.

So, as I mentioned earlier, in programming/coding there is theory (design) and reality. Sadly they rarely coincide.
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

It's not my "beloved" ondemand. >.<

Are you referring to the problem people are having with it not going to the correct profile when charging, etc?
  16. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I changed to conservative to see what it would be like. I noticed that there was about a .25 second lag when opening up my Apps Organizer folders. And I know that it isn't everything, but my benchmark went from 192 to 248. I'm going to stick with ondemand as a personal preference...but how do you suggest I word the first post so as to include both points of view the best?
  17. sarreq

sarreq New Member

ok, here's a question, I've just rooted and installed sholes 2.0.5, used autodetect, and the minimum setting I'm able to choose is 250mhz. is that something to do with the kernel sholes is using?
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Yes. You can't get lower than 250. 125 caused too many issues so they removed that option.
  19. sarreq

sarreq New Member

OK, good enough for me

what's the issue with selecting Droid in the device list?

also:
    I don't see the "Charging" profile anywhere
  20. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Charging profile is the first profile in the profile list on 1.4.6. As for the device selection...no idea why it is the way it is.
Search tags for this page
about setcpu
lag free governor set cpu
set cpu wont stay
setcpu doesn't retain
setcpu doesn't work
setcpu doesn't work with apps
setcpu doesnt work
setcpu free doesnt work

setcpu guide

setcpu interactive vs ondemand
setcpu not working