Please read this AFTER you root.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

In keeping with the tradition of this:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/20094-please-read-before-you-try-root.html

I wanted to present this thread. Here are the two biggest questions AFTER people update:

1) Where is SetCPU, I don't see it? Download it from the market for $0.99

2) Something is not working with SetCPU, why is the ROM listed as X mhz but this only shows X mhz? Because you need to go to SetCPU settings, device selection, scroll all the way down and choose auto detect (do NOT choose 'Droid'). Now you can overclock with SetCPU. Also, if you are not rooted AND using a ROM that supports overclocking (Sholes, Bugless Beast, etc), you will not be able to overclock.

3) If I want to upgrade from X rom to X newer rom, will it remove all of my programs, contacts, shortcuts, settings, etc? Yes and no. It will NOT remove those things IF you use the update.zip method of installing the new ROM. If you use the Nandroid Backup method, it could indeed cause you to lose everything and have to re-install (depending on how you do it). You can however download a backup program from the Market to simplify the re-installation process.

4) If you want to update your ROM in the future using update.zip, all you need to do is boot into SPRecovery again using the X/power button method, and choose install > allow update.zip installation > install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated) > hit the power button > reboot system

5) If you want to go back to original theme (not smoked) simply go here and the third link down is Stock Theme Patcher (credit to Pete) which will get you back to stock.
  2. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

With Nandroid you can backup you data before you install a new ROM. Then install the new ROM, once it is installed restore the data only part of your backup. All apps, contacts and everything should still be there. This is how I update from rom to rom
  3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

nice.......
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Updated from "will indeed lose" to "could possibly lose" data using Nandroid.
  5. s-one

s-one New Member

Nice after root write-up Matth3w. I personally didn't like the Smoked Glass theme of Pete's Bugless Beast Rom (hard to quickly read notifications) and in his Beast thread on alldroid he has a patcher for those that want the Stock Theme back after roming. You might want to add that to your list for those who prefer the Stock theme. Rock on!
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ok, I'll try to remember to add that tomorrow.
  7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ok, got it fixed.
  8. mitpianoman

mitpianoman New Member

edit: posted to wrong thread
  9. s-one

s-one New Member

Hey Matt3w, once you root (2.0.1) and Bugless Beast (7.4) can we use the SMupdater to continue getting auto updates of root?
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I don't know, isn't that the Sholes dealio?
  11. s-one

s-one New Member

Yea it is.. hmm.. ok it seems those guys are getting some periodic updates to root. Wondering if its something we should be getting also since we are on the original 2.0.1 root from Root Your Droid.
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Sholes and Bugless Beast are two different ROMs entirely. I doubt a good portion of their stuff would necessarily work right away with each other.
  13. s-one

s-one New Member

Gotcha.. thanks for the clarification.
  14. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

I'm not for sure though because I haven't used Sholes.
  15. Shmooze

Shmooze New Member

Im gonna stick with the Beast 7.4 for now but im interested in the sholes rom. how fast does the cpu run on that sucker?
  16. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Awesome thread.... thanks...
  17. eagle132

eagle132 New Member

When I rooted and installed Bugless Beast over my stock rom, it saved all my info and contacts and everything, but all my homescreens were blank and I had to reorganize all my shortcuts and widgets. Will this happen every time I update or was that a one time deal cuz I was upgrading from 3 to 5 homescreens?

Thanks
  18. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I installed mybackup pro and it backs up all my settings... I"m concerned however that if I attempt to use it with a new rom it might corrupt things?

I use GDE in cube mode and have seven screens full of shortcuts and a few widgets... if rooting wipes all my screens can I simply use mybackup pro to reset all my settings or should I only attempt to do that manually to be safe?
  19. disassemble

disassemble New Member

seems i'm having a problem with SETCPU.. i've been having this prob for a while.

I currently have BB v0.9 .. np.

my SetCPU only lets me max out at 600mhz.... i even updated the kernels and all... i'm confused on why it caps me?

let me know.:icon_ banana:

if i do "custom"

the options are

Max: 19.2Mhz [may crash] drag to the left... 528mhz ....
    Min: 19.2Mhz [may crash]

if i do auto detect
  20. jboucheb

jboucheb New Member

The same thing happened to me also. I want to know how to fix it. I did the nanodroid backup but when I go to restore via batch method I don't see any data. Weird.

Another thing. My GPS maps is now force closing all the time. Do I need to download Google maps again?

Thx
Search tags for this page
after you root your droid protect

what to do after you root your droid razr