Please punch holes in my plan.

scoooter

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal. I currently have a family plan with 4 lines. last week i started a new job had to use an early upgrade to but a smartphone. I got the DINC 2 which I am loving but stupidly paid way too much from an authorized verizon dealer who waived the early upgrade fee. But i still paid $199 and later found out Costco has the for $79 with accessories and 90 day return.
So now I have 4 days to return BUT I feel dumb getting a 3G phone knowing I am missing out on locking in a 4G plan before the tiers go into effect. But i reall dont want to be married to any of the 4G phones out now and I only can do one exchange. Ultimate goal is to get the Sammy GS2.
So heres the plan please tell me why it wont work.
I return the DINC2 and rollback upgrade. Cost $35
I add a line to family plan at Costco and get a TBOLT to hold me over.
Transfer old # to new line.
Exchange TBOLT when sammy is released.
Cancel old line.
Sounds like a plan?

Detonation

Reaction score
How are you going to cancel the line without an ETF? Adding the line to get a TB means signing a 2 year contract.

If I were you, I'd just switch the DINC 2 you got with your upgrade for a Thundebolt (or rollback the upgrade and get the TB where ever its cheapest), and when the GS2 is released, either sell the Thunderbolt and buy the GS2 retail, or if you are still in your return window, exchange it for a GS2.

OP
S

scoooter

Reaction score
The original line will be out of contract because I didn't use the upgrade so no ETF. Wont be able to do exchange because it would be second one even if in window.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
All you need is the smartphone data plan you have with the DINC 2 to be grandfathered in. There is NO 3g or 4g data plan, just a "data" plan.

You can upgrade your phone later to a 4G phone and remain grandfathered in.

4g depends on your device and location (for coverage), not your data plan.

So keep your DINC2 and do nothing.

captain howdy

Reaction score
All you need is the smartphone data plan you have with the DINC 2 to be grandfathered in. There is NO 3g or 4g data plan, just a "data" plan.

I agree. at most you wait a year till you can upgrade, by then even a better phone will be out

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
S

scoooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think that's where I was confused. I thought it was separate plans for 3G and 4G and if I didn't lock it in now I would be screwed later. I actually like the DINC 2 and will return it to verizon dealer and pick up one at Costco for $49 after rebate. Not sure why such a large differential but worth the hassle for me.

Shane RC51

Reaction score

This is not correct. 3G and 4G are NOT the same plan. Being grandfathered in a 3G plan will continue at 3G. Sometime down the road, when you decide to "upgrade" to a 4G plan, you will have to enroll in a tiered data plan.

allan1313

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the unlimited smartphone data was just data and it did not specify 3g or 4g.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Shane RC51

Reaction score
Something else: Let's say you are told by a Verizon rep today that you will be able to transition from 3G to 4G and retain your unlimited data.

Now 2 months from now, you decide to upgrade to 4G. Verizon tells you that you will have to enroll in a tiered data package. "But", you say, "a Verizon rep told me that I could stay grandfathered in with unlimited data!"

"I'm sorry", says the Verizon rep, "whoever told you that was incorrect. Now, which level tiered data plan would you like?"

You *really* wanna take that chance?

Last edited:

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
Shane, can you site your source re:different data plans for 3G vs 4G? Everything i've seen and read indicates "data plan" and makes no reference to differentiating between the two

thanks