PLEASE PLEASE Stop saying that you bricked your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

Modulus

Reaction score
My intention is to inform, not to instigate. I've been using 'smart phones' for years, during that time I've apparently become spoiled by the high level of technical expertise needed to use such phones. The Droid, and maybe the G1, are the first phones, scratch that, they're the first Linux-based devices (other than the TiVo) to appeal to the masses, causing an influx of users into a subculture normally dominated by technically savvy or experienced users. That influx becomes obvious with the many "what's root, I bricked my phone, etc" posts. And while I wouldn't think to deny anyone in the world of a such an incredible and opportunistic cellular experience, I do expect people to accept that they may need to learn little, and be open to the possibility that whatever they think they've already learned might have been incorrect. I continue to learn, and am excited to find new tips or tricks. Please don't think I see myself as infallible, I'm not attacking any individual, merely the concept that your preconceptions may be based on misinformation, a standard hazard of rapid change. Iceland is green, Greenland is icy. Milk isn't good for you after infancy, especially not the store bought variety. And no carnivore in the world chews before swallowing, except those of us who choose to eat meat ;)

zathus

Reaction score
Definitions of 'root'
(rōōt, rŏŏt)

Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary - (22 definitions)

[Middle English rot, from Old English rōt, from Old Norse.]
(noun)

1. The usually underground portion of a plant that lacks buds, leaves, or nodes and serves as support, draws minerals and water from the surrounding soil, and sometimes stores food.
  2. Any of various other underground plant parts, especially an underground stem such as a rhizome, corm, or tuber.
    • The embedded part of an organ or structure such as a hair, tooth, or nerve, that serves as a base or support.
    • A base or support: We snipped the wires at the roots.
  3. An essential part or element; the basic core: I finally got to the root of the problem.
  4. A primary source; an origin. See synonyms at origin
  5. A progenitor or ancestor from which a person or family is descended.
    • The condition of being settled and of belonging to a particular place or society. Often used in the plural: Our roots in this town go back a long way.
    • roots. The state of having or establishing an indigenous relationship with or a personal affinity for a particular culture, society, or environment: music with unmistakable African roots.
  6. Linguistics
    • The element that carries the main component of meaning in a word and provides the basis from which a word is derived by adding affixes or inflectional endings or by phonetic change.
    • Such an element reconstructed for a protolanguage. Also called radical
  7. Mathematics
    • A number that when multiplied by itself an indicated number of times forms a product equal to a specified number. For example, a fourth root of 4 is √2. Also called nth root
    • A number that reduces a polynomial equation in one variable to an identity when it is substituted for the variable.
    • A number at which a polynomial has the value zero.
  8. Music
    • The note from which a chord is built.
    • Such a note occurring as the lowest note of a triad or other chord
Should we stop using this word too?=P Ive always considered the term bricked to be more of a reference to a brick. meaning you turned your phone in to just that, a brick. a useless object or paper weight.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, i'm done with this one.. i understand where the OP is coming from, but perhaps we can just shrug it off as a word that is commonly misused? it happens all the time, and there have been some examples here, but i don't necessarily believe we have to point out everything that bugs us. i understand your intentions were good, and personally, i'm sorry that this thread has turned into what it has. but i think you see where this is going (poorly, at best) and it is probably time to kill it. nothing personal though, we still love you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.