PLEASE PLEASE Stop saying that you bricked your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modulus

Reaction score
For the record, I am one to argue for and against the validity of wikipedia entries for the simple reason that it's maintained by a subset of the same masses that are incorrect in their definition of bricked, but here's an excerpt:

"In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement."

Here's the full article: Brick (electronics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please stop saying 'bricked' until your device is actually worthless.

hwarfnugen

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I would even consider it a pet peeve of mine when people use the term bricked incorrectly.

antyoo

Reaction score
is it really that annoying?

one post on the whole first page has to do with a bricked phone and it was a post about how he thought it was bricked...

now 2.1 IS COMING threads, those were/are annoying

K

killabyte

true. but if you got a head cold you wouldn't say you had aids.

if your car ran outta gas you wouldn't say you blew the motor in it.

is it that big of a deal? not really, but on a forum where people are trying to help and you say you bricked your phone it gives the wrong information. i work in IT and people always describe their problem with the worst possible terms and it ends up taking more time to figure things out because they don't spend the little bit of time it would take to properly educate themselves with the right lingo.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Not everyone knows what you know or interprets a term the same way.

Exactly. If I clubbed someone to death with my Droid, it could be said I "bricked" them.

:D

RichStevenson

Reaction score

is it that big of a deal? not really, but on a forum where people are trying to help and you say you bricked your phone it gives the wrong information. i work in IT and people always describe their problem with the worst possible terms and it ends up taking more time to figure things out because they don't spend the little bit of time it would take to properly educate themselves with the right lingo.

I work in IT as well, and I never go with what the user says is happening for the same reason you just stated.They don't usually know the correct lingo or they just explain things wrong, so you ask questions and educate them the best you can.Same goes here, people; including myself, are here to learn. If someone says "bricked" just politely correct them, don't take it to heart so much...

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
In the Hacks forum there is a sticky called something like "This is what Root means - Stop Asking!". I have been dying to write one called "This is what Bricked means - Stop Using it Incorrectly!", but I decided to just not open any thread that has any form of the word Brick in the title.

Big Cam

Reaction score

very true but almost everyone in the world knows what a cold is and what aids is.

Although common to you and me and many others, the term Bricked is not universally known.

Reaction score
If you don't know the term and are even confused a little bit on the usage, it's best to not say it. Same thing with "My account totally got hacked" when you happened to forget your login, or if a friend changes your facebook status.

Guchi

Reaction score
today i found out my toyota is "bricked" untill i can get the nessasary hardware replacment

Big Cam

Reaction score
If you don't know the term and are even confused a little bit on the usage, it's best to not say it. Same thing with "My account totally got hacked" when you happened to forget your login, or if a friend changes your facebook status.
I completely agree with you.
today i found out my toyota is "bricked" untill i can get the nessasary hardware replacment
:icon_ goofy: That's not too far from the truth.

dfwdroid

Reaction score
should i say : "my phone APPEARS to be bricked"???
brick brick brick......geeezz don't we have something better to do

Mateles

Reaction score
should i say : "my phone APPEARS to be bricked"???
brick brick brick......geeezz don't we have something better to do
I do, but I don't wanna. This may call for a brick homescreen theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.