Please , need help yesterday!! Criminal case evidence on droid I have to retrieve!!

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
By the way, if you dont know what root is, then you were not rooted. And therefore, there is no chance that it can assist you at this point.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm calling shenanigans!! Verizon can get you those text, Its been done before its 2011 not 1820. If you think for a second that everything anyone text isn't stored your nuts. Patriot act? I know thats for call monitoring, but its a good example.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What ya do anyways, or is it a divorce case? If you were the lawyer you wouldn't be asking us. LOL

I hope its not evidence for a nasty divorce, you need all the leverage you can get in those nasty things.

Mojo

Reaction score
I am not trying to sound rude.. so please do not take it that way. But most likely your text are gone... and will not be able to be retrived. For VZW to release any text messages stored on their servers it will take a warrent or some sort of sopena from the court system and usually has to do with criminal cases. So if this is over a domestic type case you will probably be spinning your wheels.

I always try to stress how important it is to make back ups of your phones content that is most important to you. Rarely does one do so untill its too late. Then they are asking us to work some sort of majic to retrive the information. It just cannot be done. I have worked quite a long time in this industry (cellular) and have heard so many stories simular to your situation. And as bad as I feel that you and others loose your information, ultimatly you have lost it due to your own neglect. SMS messages can always be forwarded to an email address. Or in the case of many smartphones their are apps that will allow for you to back up these messages. My suggestion is to chalk it up to a huge learning experience and move on. Take the lessons learned and in the future make sure you always have a back up of important things. If you dont it must not have been to important to begin with. Again please dont take my post as being rude. Just stating facts. To many people always say well just get a sopena and vzw will give you your messages... it just simply does not work that way.

Droids

Reaction score
Yup, plenty of SMS/MMS backup apps out there to automate the process. They are stored on the phone's memory, not the sd card. I manually back mine up by using a bookmark in root explorer and copying this file to a folder on the SD card.
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

Snippet

Reaction score
Well. Not to say that all companies are alike.

But!

I worked for ATT for quite some time. And yes we can have text messages pulled back up if all the legal steps are taken.

But by law all we have to do is hold a text message for three days. And as you can imagine. The amount of storage it would take to save 3 days worth of text messaging for the millions of subscribers. They usually don't stay long after that time. Yes if your lucky you might have gotten into a slow week. But from what I can tell. These are not recent messages. So with at least att your messages will be gone. Not sure how Verizon works.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well. Not to say that all companies are alike.

But!

I worked for ATT for quite some time. And yes we can have text messages pulled back up if all the legal steps are taken.

But by law all we have to do is hold a text message for three days. And as you can imagine. The amount of storage it would take to save 3 days worth of text messaging for the millions of subscribers. They usually don't stay long after that time. Yes if your lucky you might have gotten into a slow week. But from what I can tell. These are not recent messages. So with at least att your messages will be gone. Not sure how Verizon works.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Yes, we're all aware that 100% of AT&T's data gets routed directly to the NSA. No need to remind us of that. :)

I hope the OP got the needed data, but it does sound like it's a lost cause. I can't really contribute much at this point except to back everyone up. If you need to save your text messages (and I'm not one who does), you need to back them up with a 3rd party app, or archive them at an email account.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I too hope the op makes out. For the rest...you never know when you'll need a backup. Do them before flashing roms, themes, kernels. Stop and think: if my phone or computer was gone, how bummed out would I be if the data was gone too.

Sometimes I think the above message is worth repeating, just like Bob Barker's "Now remember folks, to spay and neuter your pets!"

android-sms - Project Hosting on Google Code backs txt messages up to the cloud.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I know for a fact that Verizon has the texts. When my daughter was 16 she was being stalked and threatened by another boy. In order to prove that it was him we had to go to the police, the police went to the City Attorney, the City Attorney got a Subpoena and served it on Verizon's Legal Dept. VZ then gave us the complete history of the two phone numbers (my daughter's and the other boy) including texts. It took a while but we did get them all. Needless to say the young man is very sorry he crossed me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I know for a fact that Verizon has the texts. When my daughter was 16 she was being stalked and threatened by another boy. In order to prove that it was him we had to go to the police, the police went to the City Attorney, the City Attorney got a Subpoena and served it on Verizon's Legal Dept. VZ then gave us the complete history of the two phone numbers (my daughter's and the other boy) including texts. It took a while but we did get them all. Needless to say the young man is very sorry he crossed me.
The OP said a call from his/her lawyer got the texts, unless I'm misremembering. But +1 for getting that stalker nailed!