Please help!

thejas

Reaction score
I have a droid with froyo 2.2 and am trying to use a new rom following this guide. <mod edit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/28436-complete-how-how-mod-your-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html> This is all new to me. I get to steps 15 and 16 and have issues. particularly with 16. I type everything out the way it says and it says, /system/bin/flash_image: cannot open for write: read-only file system. However, the previous step should make this writeable. I have su as indicated by the # symbol. When I type in step 15 it says, Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory. Is it possible that i need the dashes for the rw? If so, how would i write it out? I have confirmed that the files are in the root of my sd however my sd card seems to have some other folders on it . I don't want to reboot until i get an answer here cause i don't know if i've caused any damage to the phone. Anyone know what i should do? The folders i have are .android_secure, Android, dcim, and Lost.dir. The only other files that are on the sd are the ones that are in root. i have flash_image (it is not a txt, i checked. identical match to guide), and recovery-0.99.3.img. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

Last edited by a moderator:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a droid with froyo 2.2 and am trying to use a new rom following this guide. <mod edit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/28436-complete-how-how-mod-your-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html> This is all new to me. I get to steps 15 and 16 and have issues. particularly with 16. I type everything out the way it says and it says, /system/bin/flash_image: cannot open for write: read-only file system. However, the previous step should make this writeable. I have su as indicated by the # symbol. When I type in step 15 it says, Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory. Is it possible that i need the dashes for the rw? If so, how would i write it out? I have confirmed that the files are in the root of my sd however my sd card seems to have some other folders on it . I don't want to reboot until i get an answer here cause i don't know if i've caused any damage to the phone. Anyone know what i should do? The folders i have are .android_secure, Android, dcim, and Lost.dir. The only other files that are on the sd are the ones that are in root. i have flash_image (it is not a txt, i checked. identical match to guide), and recovery-0.99.3.img. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

Let us know which rom you would like to install. Those instructions are for an older rom. Someone will point you to newer instructions. There are newer methods that cut waayyy down on typing:)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a droid with froyo 2.2 and am trying to use a new rom following this guide. This is all new to me. I get to steps 15 and 16 and have issues. particularly with 16. I type everything out the way it says and it says, /system/bin/flash_image: cannot open for write: read-only file system. However, the previous step should make this writeable. I have su as indicated by the # symbol. When I type in step 15 it says, Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory. Is it possible that i need the dashes for the rw? If so, how would i write it out? I have confirmed that the files are in the root of my sd however my sd card seems to have some other folders on it . I don't want to reboot until i get an answer here cause i don't know if i've caused any damage to the phone. Anyone know what i should do? The folders i have are .android_secure, Android, dcim, and Lost.dir. The only other files that are on the sd are the ones that are in root. i have flash_image (it is not a txt, i checked. identical match to guide), and recovery-0.99.3.img. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

So what is your end game? to get SPRecovery on and flash a rooted Rom?

If so : SBF to root and to unroot do box option 1-3 and then you can insatall any custom Rom.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Let us know which rom you would like to install. Those instructions are for an older rom. Someone will point you to newer instructions. There are newer methods that cut waayyy down on typing:)

Just linked him to your thread christim

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just linked him to your thread christim

Yup, that is where he wants to go. Most rom announcement threads include instructions, but I have noticed not all of them do. For someone new this can be confusing. For the rest of us its old hat what "do an update.zip" install means. For that matter we even assume that is what we should do.

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score
I have a droid with froyo 2.2 and am trying to use a new rom following this guide. This is all new to me. I get to steps 15 and 16 and have issues. particularly with 16. I type everything out the way it says and it says, /system/bin/flash_image: cannot open for write: read-only file system. However, the previous step should make this writeable. I have su as indicated by the # symbol. When I type in step 15 it says, Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o options] [-t type] device directory. Is it possible that i need the dashes for the rw? If so, how would i write it out? I have confirmed that the files are in the root of my sd however my sd card seems to have some other folders on it . I don't want to reboot until i get an answer here cause i don't know if i've caused any damage to the phone. Anyone know what i should do? The folders i have are .android_secure, Android, dcim, and Lost.dir. The only other files that are on the sd are the ones that are in root. i have flash_image (it is not a txt, i checked. identical match to guide), and recovery-0.99.3.img. Thanks to everyone in advance for their help.

If so : SBF to root and to unroot do box option 1-3 and then you can insatall any custom Rom.

thanks for the reply guys. ultimately i would like to get ss v4.6 on there if possible and also try out some kernels that are ulv or lv @ 1ghz minimum (i know that speed is individual phone dependent)

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score

unfortunately, after downloading rsdlite and insallting the appropriate usb drivers it sees the phone as seflash omap3430 but does not let me hit start after loading the sprecovery .sbf file. does the fact that i'm on 2.2 mean anything?

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score
so i messed up

so apparently i have clockworkmod revocery v2.0.1.3 (the guy that used to own the phone installed it) i was not aware of this until now, sorry. Should i keep this recovery version or switch to something else? if i need to switch, how do i do it with v2.2? or should i keep it to load roms. if i keep it what should i do first? a backup? sorry about so many questions.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
so apparently i have clockworkmod revocery v2.0.1.3 (the guy that used to own the phone installed it) i was not aware of this until now, sorry. Should i keep this recovery version or switch to something else? if i need to switch, how do i do it with v2.2? or should i keep it to load roms. if i keep it what should i do first? a backup? sorry about so many questions.

So, do you have ROM Manager installed on the phone? If so, and it's the paid version, you just hit Download ROM and select the one you'd like.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Well if you have clockwork you should be all set.

1. download the Rom you want from this site and put on sd card
2. boot into clockwork
3: Make a backup!
4. wipe data/cache x2
5. install Rom fom sdcard
6. select Rom
7. install
8. reboot

I think that is the process. I use SPR but it is similar

I wouldn't use Rom Manager except to flash SPR if you want to change recoveries, it has had a lot of Froyo issues.

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score

So, do you have ROM Manager installed on the phone? If so, and it's the paid version, you just hit Download ROM and select the one you'd like.

no i don't have a rom manager. i think it's stock kernel and rom. he just left it rooted with clockwork.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
OK, I am sorry, I am a bit confused here ... do you or do you not have root access?

Edit: OK so I can't read LOL. Just reread your post and you DO have root access.
SO, now the question is have you downloaded the ROM you want onto your SD card?

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie

no i don't have a rom manager. i think it's stock kernel and rom. he just left it rooted with clockwork.[/QUOTE]

Okay first things first....... since you already have clockworkmod on the phone your best bet is to go to the market download ROM Manager both the free version and the premium (paid) version (you have to have both in order to download roms). Then once you have ROM Manager installed, open it up. Now it will ask you to flash the newest ClockworkMod which is 2.5.0.1. Keep in mind that there have been reported issues with CWM but there are work arounds if needed. So once you have CWM flashed go to download ROMS and browse by developer. There you can choose the ROM of your choice and download it. NOTE: For a clean download in RM try to always use WiFi (so turn it on before going into RM). RM seems to like WiFi and downloads faster and cleaner. Once you have downloaded the ROM of your choosing, follow the prompts in RM to install and you should be golden.

RM is a great tool but has issues, you have to be patient with it. Not only can you download ROMs there you can also backup your system and manage those backups. You can also download themes and fonts depending on the ROM you choose.

Hope this helps you. If you need more help, let us know and we will be here for you.

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score

no i don't have a rom manager. i think it's stock kernel and rom. he just left it rooted with clockwork.

Okay first things first....... since you already have clockworkmod on the phone your best bet is to go to the market download ROM Manager both the free version and the premium (paid) version (you have to have both in order to download roms). Then once you have ROM Manager installed, open it up. Now it will ask you to flash the newest ClockworkMod which is 2.5.0.1. Keep in mind that there have been reported issues with CWM but there are work arounds if needed. So once you have CWM flashed go to download ROMS and browse by developer. There you can choose the ROM of your choice and download it. NOTE: For a clean download in RM try to always use WiFi (so turn it on before going into RM). RM seems to like WiFi and downloads faster and cleaner. Once you have downloaded the ROM of your choosing, follow the prompts in RM to install and you should be golden.

RM is a great tool but has issues, you have to be patient with it. Not only can you download ROMs there you can also backup your system and manage those backups. You can also download themes and fonts depending on the ROM you choose.

Hope this helps you. If you need more help, let us know and we will be here for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to every single person for their support. It really feels like such an amazingly cool community of people! Since my last post I am running bugless beast v0.4 without a theme as of yet (i'll get to that at some point), downloaded a bunch of apps, and adjusted all sorts of settings. I also downloaded RM like you said and am about to get the paid version also. Right now my rom runs at 800mhz and the battery reported 100 degrees F. I am not sure if that is too hot but I did not experience any issues the entire day and I even ran a stress test with setcpu. I was wondering if there's any software recommendations you guys can make? Right now I have skyfire, dolphin hd, apk installer, swype (which doesn't work as the beta is closed), last pass, setcpu, spare parts, bump and busybox. What must-have apps do you guys use and what do they do/are they for? Please keep in mind, I cannot use cellphone data. I know to a lot of people will say, what's the point of having this phone if i can't use cell towers but I need it to be a cheap monthly payment and i'm usually around wi-fi hot spots. I'm using pageplus wireless (not activated yet). One thing I would love to get is something that shuts off cell data only but I would still need to use txt messaging. Does someone know of such a program? I need to use it as a phone obviously but my data allowance per month is so low, i'd use it in just days on pageplus and after that they charge .06/mb, I believe. Again thanks to everyone for their replies, it is greatly apreciated :D.

Last edited: