Please help with root. I am very new. Droid 2 Global

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
I would do it. I had this phone for 3 days whe I rooted. That's just me though. Its really up to you. I was kinda nervous when I rooted and the first time I had to sbf scared the crap out of me. Now I've sbf'ed multiple times and it doesn't bother me in the least.

@biknut1, we don't officially have liberty. We have our romer that let's us use all d2/dx roms though

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

Ok so just for ****'s and giggles, lets say I do decide to go through with it (because to be honest I'd like to just see for personal satisfaction *tisk tisk* lmao), is there any advice that you would give so that I'm almost fulll proof to not goof this up. Or maybe walk me through it? I know I feel like I'm asking alot from u guys and being quite annoying, but as you said you were nervous at first too. Oh and I'm not very techy ya know but I learn quick and I'm persistent lol.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Actually rooting is litterally just 1 click after you install z4root, its everything else that gets complicated. When I get home (bout hour and a half from now) I can gtalk or something. Would be easier to explain how to rom etc that way. I'll send you a pm with links to everything you need in a minute.

clouse2013

Reaction score
Ok so just for ****'s and giggles, lets say I do decide to go through with it (because to be honest I'd like to just see for personal satisfaction *tisk tisk* lmao), is there any advice that you would give so that I'm almost fulll proof to not goof this up. .

Really just read through the post for whatever rom your wanting to flash and absolutely make sure you know its for your phone. Make sure its for D2G and not just for D2. If thats the case use team GRD's romer tool. Otherwise, whenever you install a new rom wipe data and cache in Koush's bootsrapper. When installing an addon or a theme you can just wipe the cache prior to installation. And as mentioned in a previous post make sure you are comfortable with SBFing. If you do everything else right you wont need to do it but it doesnt hurt just in case.

OP
C

CowboyCombat

Reaction score
Actually rooting is litterally just 1 click after you install z4root, its everything else that gets complicated. When I get home (bout hour and a half from now) I can gtalk or something. Would be easier to explain how to rom etc that way. I'll send you a pm with links to everything you need in a minute.

Thank you so much I would greatly appreciate that if you have the time. Means alot. Sorry for being so phone-noobish lol.
My email is [email protected]cedroid

sg0666

Reaction score
I may be over my head here. I have a D2, bought it just before the D2G came out.. I need to make several trips to China in the next several months so I bought a D2G off the internet. I activated it using my other Verizon account. I just want to root this phone and unlock the Sim card so that I can use it in China then switch back to my D2(which I have set up the way I like it).. I have been on this site for about 8 hrs now and thought I had it figured out.. I can't even get the "z4root" on my phone.. Do I download to my computer, or straight to the phone? The file will download to my computer(which is a mac), it recognizes my phone, but I do not know how to move it to the sd/card? The file will not download on my phone at all(gives an incompatible error). Is this just a macintosh/motorola compatibility Problem?

silver6054

Reaction score
I may be over my head here. I have a D2, bought it just before the D2G came out.. I need to make several trips to China in the next several months so I bought a D2G off the internet. I activated it using my other Verizon account. I just want to root this phone and unlock the Sim card so that I can use it in China then switch back to my D2(which I have set up the way I like it).. I have been on this site for about 8 hrs now and thought I had it figured out.. I can't even get the "z4root" on my phone.. Do I download to my computer, or straight to the phone? The file will download to my computer(which is a mac), it recognizes my phone, but I do not know how to move it to the sd/card? The file will not download on my phone at all(gives an incompatible error). Is this just a macintosh/motorola compatibility Problem?
Do you want to use the Vodafone SIM that came with the phone (if it did!) or another one? In either case, rooting be no help. You need to contact Verizon Global Services (as you are a customer) to get the unlock code and/or get the SIM activated.

You download z4root to the phone if possible (using the browser. When you install you might get an error about installing non-market apps, but the error tells you what to do)

Does your mac have a slot for mounting a SD card (or a USB port for a card reader) That is an easy way of transferring files if for some reason the USB connection doesn't allow you to mount the phone directly.

gregory1824

Reaction score
sg:you can download z4root on your computer then mount your phone to that computer and put it on your sd card...if you can mount the phone on your mac i would think you should be able to move the app to your sd card.

cowboy:personally i made a folder on my sd card and called it root files so i have everything in it i may need so as long as i have a computer near i can do whatever i want to do with my phone.I have in the folder: moto 32/64 bit computer drivers, rsd lite 4.6/4.9, D2G sbf file,z4root app, d2 bootstrap app,Fission ROM Manager app(also titanium backup apk,root explorer apk)((I also have files/folders for a D1/D2/DX/Incredible so if a friend wants a phone rooted i can hook them up)) I was a bit intimidated when i first rooted my old D1...messed it up many times but NEVER screwed it up so bad i couldn't sbf and fix it...so far with my d2g i haven't messed it up either, sbf'ing it a few times as well...to sbf it takes me about 5 minutes and i am back to stock...

sg:if you want i can send you a dropbox link for z4root also

sg0666

Reaction score
sg:you can download z4root on your computer then mount your phone to that computer and put it on your sd card...if you can mount the phone on your mac i would think you should be able to move the app to your sd card.

cowboy:personally i made a folder on my sd card and called it root files so i have everything in it i may need so as long as i have a computer near i can do whatever i want to do with my phone.I have in the folder: moto 32/64 bit computer drivers, rsd lite 4.6/4.9, D2G sbf file,z4root app, d2 bootstrap app,Fission ROM Manager app(also titanium backup apk,root explorer apk)((I also have files/folders for a D1/D2/DX/Incredible so if a friend wants a phone rooted i can hook them up)) I was a bit intimidated when i first rooted my old D1...messed it up many times but NEVER screwed it up so bad i couldn't sbf and fix it...so far with my d2g i haven't messed it up either, sbf'ing it a few times as well...to sbf it takes me about 5 minutes and i am back to stock...

sg:if you want i can send you a dropbox link for z4root also

Yes, thanks for the reply, Silver, I do plan on having Verizon unlock the Sim slot so that I can use local services while I am in China.. I just want to play with this phone and I came across this rooting stuff, so I thought I would give it a try.. Gregory, I do have the z4root on my phone... Just not on my SD card, I have tried moving it, renaming, under settings, applications, it will not give me the choice to "Move to SDcard". My SDcard is MT, how do you add folders to it. In my file manager I have 2 choices: "phone files", "shared files".? thanks.

biknut1

Reaction score
Liberty & GRD

@biknut1, we don't officially have liberty. We have our romer that let's us use all d2/dx roms though

13th- I know that in my head! But in my haste I forgot to make it clear to someone who does not know that. Sorry- I'll try to do better next time!