Please help with root. I am very new. Droid 2 Global

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by CowboyCombat, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys I am new to the Android OS/Phones, and believe it or not I would like to root my phone. I have no idea where to start and have no friends that know how to do so and the web tends to over-inflate me with too much info. And I was hoping someone could maybe be kind enough to help me understand it if anyone has some free time. I currently have the Droid 2 Global. I would like to use Cyanogen [from what I saw I was impressed so I just kinda said hey I want that one! :) ]. Please help.

2. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Google z4root, it is 1 click root. Unfortunately CM will not work on our devices because the bootloader is locked. The only "rom" for d2g's is fission 2.4.3. It is basically just a reskin that removes all of the blur (moto's ui). However, you can also use droid 2/droid x roms to work by using the Team Get R Done ROMer. However, the sensors do not work with it.

If you have any questions just ask and ill help :)

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

3. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Confused :)

Thank you so much for the reply. Ok you kinda lost me already. For example I've see other devices such as the G2, Nexus, and other phones running what I've understood as the custom rom Cyanogen. Like I said I wanted something with the same little features (but as you said our devices wont run CM, are there other roms that are similar, and also what exactly are the differences between Roms?), and also get rid of all this bloatware. I'm just terrified of bricking my phone and was hoping maybe you or someone could maybe walk me through the steps to avoid that.

4. eMWu

eMWu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did you miss the first sticky topic in this forum?

5. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey buddy I saw the post. I was trying to maybe get someone with a bit of free time to explain these files and things. You must not have read that not only am I new to bootloading and roms, but I also stated that Im new to Android OS/Phones. I am also new to smartphones. So I didn't want to brick my phone. So if you have any relevant info or care to take the time to explain to help me so I don't have to end up buying a new device should anything go wrong thanks chief! dancedroid

6. 2mnydgs

2mnydgs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to download Astro File Manager, Titanium Backup and I also have found Dropbox helpful.

The tutorials in the sticky are wonderful and may I suggest perhaps viewing a few examples on youtube (so you sort of know what to expect)

7. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly are those programs and what do they do?

8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    You also may want to know from someone who has rooted many times and gone back to stock that I bricked my D2 last week while going back to stock.

Also, it may be a good idea to take a look at this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html

And we are here to help, eMWu just asked how you missed the thread. I often wonder that as well. I never tell anybody to search but if there is a thread right there on the same page, it does give you cause to think "How'd they miss that?"

9. clouse2013

clouse2013 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Astro is a file manager so you can open, move, deleted, etc... files on your SD card. Titanium backup can help back up your apps so when you switch roms (you have to delete data to do this) you can get everything back and not lose any of your information. Its also nice to have a back up of your apps on your SD card just in case.

#9 clouse2013, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  10. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much hook glad I read that before I did anything. Conscience and smarts set in lmao, and I am no longer going to go through with the hack. Not worth a bricked device/account...

11. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To everyone else that helped me , thank you so much for your time a cooperation. Take care! :)

12. 13th angel

13th angel Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, couldn't really help much since im at school. About the article that hook linked to, no one really knows what's going to happen. It may or may not end up happening like P3 thing, even he's said he doesn't know what the carriers are going to do.

@hook how did you perma-brick? I read that you had but didn't think to ask till now.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2