Please HELP with Rom Manager!!!!

Batman8

Reaction score
I have been using this app for a long time now with no problems but now on version 2.5.0.7 it will NOT let me restore ANY of my backups! Every time it gets stuck/hung in the middle of restoring at a point where it always says "preinstall_md5" and just sits there forever. I have to do a battery pull and then delete all data/cache just to get the phone up and running again (which means I also have to start all over re-installing everything), luckily I also have Titanium Backup to help with that part. I have since then un-installed Rom Manager and then re-installed it fresh from the Market, flashed a new recovery and made a brand new back-up and it STILL won't restore it!! I get the same "preinstall_md5" error over and over again.

I have emailed the developer more than once before the Thanksgiving holidays and he will not respond! Therefore I am reaching out to you all for any help you can provide.

Thanks.

OTA 2.2 Rooted Droid-X

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Your profile says Motorola Droid which to me implies the Droid 1, but your last line says Droid X. I don't know much about the X, but with my Droid 1 I have sometimes had to flash an earlier version of ClockworkMod Recovery to get it back on track.

good luck

D

dankarlinski

that is the case with the droid 1. the droid x is more complicated with the bootloader issues, but try to reflash an older version and then the newer. i did read online that due to something with the boot files, sometimes you do need to flash it a few times for the phone to take it

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your quick responses, but how do you flash an older version? I usually flash the recovery from right inside the Rom Manager app and it doesn't give you a choice, it just flashes the one recovery as far as I can tell.

Also where can I find an older version? Which "older" version should I use and how can I flash it properly if not with the RM application?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look in the main menu for ClockWork version I think. That may not be the correct tab but it is on the main menu.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
I do see an area at the bottom of Rom Manager that says "All ClockworkMod Recoveries" and I tried to use the top one (2.5.1.4) and I keep getting a message that says "An error occurred while downloading your recovery." Am I in the right area? What is the difference between all the choices of recoveries. Does it matter which one I pick considering I'm running ver. 2.5.0.7 of Rom Manager Premium? I don't want to mess up and make things worse, so thanks to all of you for the help!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes Batman8 you are in the right area. When I have done what I posted on my A855 D1 it is near the bottom of the RM menu. I usually chose one of the 1.8.x.x ones and then go back. If you get the "error while downloading" then do two things.

Most important is to do all this while hooked up via WiFi. Then if you still get the error, go through the RM menus system and clear the download cache and then try again.

good luck

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks Teddyearp. I turned on my wifi and tried almost every rom offered in the RM menu including the 1.8.x.x ones (clearing the download cache between each attempt) and each time I STILL got the same message of "error while downloading." WTF???!! This is nuts, and I wonder how my recovery file got screwed up in the first place? You know, just in case I can ever get this sorted out, I don't want it to happen again.

mdowns989

Reaction score
Mine does the same $#!+.... I've tried everything to make it work but rom manager for me is broken... it will download the files but I need to back up or restore of install from clockwork manually... use to love the app... now wasted money

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I really liked this app and I hate to see it not working anymore! The developer used to be helpful back in the days...but now he doesn't give a damn enough to even respond!

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Yes. I am running Droid X Recovery Bootstrap V. 1.0.0.3. Any Ideas? Thanks.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks Teddyearp.<snip> (clearing the download cache between each attempt) <snip> You know, just in case I can ever get this sorted out, I don't want it to happen again.

Did you clear the download cache?
@Batman: I wish I had more help for you, I know it must be frustrating. I am wondering if it is a server problem and will iron itself out. It doesn't sound like there is anything else you can do on your phone to fix it. Also in Rom Manager go to menu -> settings and make sure the "Erase Recovery" button is unchecked. I am pretty sure that will at least prevent this from happening again.

Also try going to irc (don't know the link, google it) to the #koush channel and see if you can get some reply there.

good luck

p.s. the dev's webpage:

http://www.koushikdutta.com/