PLEASE HELP - Stuck at M logo

OP
littlegti84

littlegti84

Reaction score
So now, my power button does nothing. Connecting my phone to my computer via USB does nothing. The only way to get it to do anything is to put it into my media dock and then it still only goes to the "M" screen and stays there. Yippee...

stabl4life82

Reaction score
cause the battery is dead now most likely...plug the phone up and let it stay on the m for a while until it charges up...then try to reboot back into recovery like the other guy said...it should work then..be fast and already have the phone facing u

OP
littlegti84

littlegti84

Reaction score
so ur phone wont even reboot with the charger just straight plugged into it without the dock?

With it plugged straight into USB, it does nothing. On the dock it only goes to the M screen. I tried it on my regular charger and it goes only to the M screen as well.

Boostjunky

Reaction score
so ur phone wont even reboot with the charger just straight plugged into it without the dock?

With it plugged straight into USB, it does nothing. On the dock it only goes to the M screen. I tried it on my regular charger and it goes only to the M screen as well.

Your battery is dead. Bad deal. You need to find someone with a droid to have them charge it up for you. Then, after the battery is charged, if you still can't get past the M logo, you may have to go as far as using RSD Lite to flash the SPRecovery .sbf file back onto your device, and from there, flash one of your backups.

wingdo

Reaction score
I've had my Droid rooted almost since I got it in February '10. I've been running UD eXtreme 8 for some time without any problems. For some reason I decided to reload Rom Manager and after trying to flash a new kernal, I'm stuck at the Motorola logo... If I were still running SPRecovery I'd just jump into recovery and reload my last update... I can't seem to get anywhere from here. Anyone have any insight here?

why do people use rom manager again?

goodluck dude, thats why i like sprecovery, at this point you could just mount as usb drive and load another kernel onto it and reload it..

Just to clarify a couple things. Rom Manager is NOT clockwork recovery.

I've been a huge supporter of SPR and detractor of CW, but not that long ago I reflashed CW through Rom Manager and while the first couple flash attempts failed miserably, the third CW flash went cleanly. I've not had an issue with CW since. I've still got it installed, and while I still think SPR is better just because it always works, CW has been stable for me and I do like some of its features.

As for the proper sequence to boot to recovery.
Pull the battery.
Put the battery back in.
Hold down the X key on the physical keyboard.
Push and hold the power button until you get to the motorola 'M' logo.
Release the power button but continue to hold the 'x' key until you get to the recovery screen.

If you cannot get to recovery with this method, you should be able to boot up normally (if your battery is OK) and reflash SPR or CW through Rom Manager. If that fails (I've never had that happen), you should be able to just reflash SPR via RSD Lite like you did when you first rooted.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The phone isn't going to charge in recovery or sitting at the M logo. If the battery is dead you either need to find a friend who will let you borrow their battery or goto Verizon and ask them to charge the battery for you. Of course going to Verizon means they will want to help you troubleshoot which you may not want. Other than that you could buy a new battery or buy a battery charger where you can take the battery out of the phone and put it into the charger and plug the charger into the wall.

As for your backups... if you saved them in CW and can now only get to SP.. that's fine. They are stored on your SD card. Wipe your phone clean using SP and reboot the stock ROM. Install ROM Manager and flash over to CW... reboot the phone into recovery and then restore your backup.

luigi90210

Reaction score
this is why rom manager shouldnt be used

once you get your battery charged try using a sbf to flash back to 2.01, reroot and reinstall/restore your phone back to where it was before you flashed CW

o Fi1thy

Reaction score
How is this Rom Manager's fault? 95% of the time its user error. It has made flashing roms easy for the average person, who dont really know what they are doing. which is great for the community because they come here with their questions and help them out so they can figure stuff out and learn also.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
luigi90210 and MTOdroid... I agree with both of you but that's kind of how everything is. Has some good, has some bad... point is... let's agree to disagree and just help littlegti84 (and any other person that stumbles upon this thread) get themselves up and running. :)

luigi90210

Reaction score
How is this Rom Manager's fault? 95% of the time its user error. It has made flashing roms easy for the average person, who dont really know what they are doing. which is great for the community because they come here with their questions and help them out so they can figure stuff out and learn also.
rom manager doesnt flash recovery sbfs properly the first time

i have tried to flash CW using rom manager before and it just wouldnt work i would get stuck at the M logo until i pulled the battery

i used UD 6 to flash my CW recovery

everytime i had to help someone with flashing my theme they were using rom manager so in my experience rom manager doesnt do a good job and imo i think rom manager has made a huge group of the community reliant on the program if you ask me flashing a rom using SPR or CW is easy and very user friendly

again this is all imo

luigi90210 and MTOdroid... I agree with both of you but that's kind of how everything is. Has some good, has some bad... point is... let's agree to disagree and just help littlegti84 (and any other person that stumbles upon this thread) get themselves up and running. :)

agreed
it may make me sound like a hypocrite but i use rom manager to download some roms and kernels but i never use it to flash anything

Last edited:
OP
littlegti84

littlegti84

Reaction score
So I took my phone into Verizon yesterday... She tried a different battery and everything and still the power button does nothing. They are warrantying the phone and my replacement should be here tomorrow. Is Verizon going to get this thing going and figure out it's been rooted?

Also, the other night, I left the phone on charge (M screen) all night, and the power button worked once... I'll try it again tonight and see if it'll work tomorrow. then I'll hold that x button until the cows come home and hope for the best...

OP
littlegti84

littlegti84

Reaction score
On a slightly different note, I never blamed ROM Manager for my problem, and still don't. I do however do not see what I could have done wrong to have caused this as I followed all of ROM Managers prompts and such and when the phone rebooted all I got was the M screen. I am not a noobie to rooting, but am no expert at all...