1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Please help noob, just rooted running SS4.8

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by E36M3, Sep 30, 2010.

1. E36M3

E36M3 New Member

So I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world and I especially have no patients for cell phone problems...... Well my lack of attention span made me hesitant to root my D1 in the first place and ultimately pushed me to do it. I was sick and tired of home screen re-draws with launcher pro. that being said, yesterday I rooted my phone. Much easier than expected using a post by recovery squad, had no problems very straight forward. dancedroid

I decided to go with Chevy's rom (SS 4.8) because #1 although I'm a M3 guy now, I miss my fbody and LS6 sometimes and #2 from what I've read he builds a quality rom. So after about an hour or two I have root and all of my apps back to normal. Now what? Granted I have noticed better performance in the little bit of use texting and a few calls but I'm lost as to what the hell themes and kernals are for and how to tell the difference. What can this rom do that I couldn't do before aside from the status bar changes and music controls?

Can someone please explain in laymans terms how kernals work. I've spent hours digging through old threads and I think I've just made myself more confused. I take it that themes only change the default colors and thats about it? Supposedly now I have ultimate control over my phone but don't really know what its capable of. Basically what I want out of my phone is reliable functionality that isn't balls slow (which I think I have now but may not know what is "better") and decent battery life.

So if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

So here's my deets:
    D1
    Rooted running unmodified SS4.8
    Use Touchdown for work e-mail and calendar
    Handcent SMS
    Dolphin browser
    Use Pandora quite a bit (almost daily for at least 15 minutes)
    Use bPlayer quite a bit (especially when riding the Harley)
    Play a few games here and there (Need full Angry Birds asap)
    GPS in the car when needed

Any suggestions appreciated. Even the facetious ones....
  2. jeffly777

jeffly777 New Member

Welcome to the world of the rooted droid! You don't know it yet, but you've just taken the first step on a journey that will seriously, and negatively, impact your work and personal life.

I had the same problem as you (I'm rooted--now what?) when I first took this road, so I shall offer some suggestions.

The first, and greatest thing you can do with a rooted phone is overclocking. This goes along with your "what does kernel do" question. The kernel is, in simple terms, the part of your droid that forms the foundation of the system. It handles the maths that the rest of the OS make shiny. It also regulates the CPU speed. By changing kernels to one that has overclocked slots (if you're running Chevy's ROM, you have one by default) and using an application that allows you to control how the CPU governor in the kernal is set, you can get some real speed out of it. Having a droid 1 that runs faster than your buddy's shiny new Droid X is fun. Download Set CPU from the market, since Chevy's kernals are all overclocking capable. It's a paid app, but well worth it. Play with settings to find a speed that makes you happy.

You can also download ROM manager, which will allow you to very quickly and easily try new kernels and ROMs. In fact, just go on the market and search for "root." You'll find all kinds of neat stuff you never knew you wanted.

Finally, on themes: The basic android GUI uses XML files to define the environment, upon which pictures are drawn. Everything you interact with in android is a picture. By changing those pictures (and, with some themes, the XMLs) you can RADICALLY alter the look--far more than just changing colors. Everything from icons to widgets to the animation that shows when your droid boots can be changed to fit your desire. Search around for something you want to change, and chances are somebody has at least tried it, and probably posted a step by step guide.

Good luck, and have fun!
  3. mtz_gto

mtz_gto New Member

Nice writeup Jeffly :)
  4. elucid

elucid New Member

I highly recommend getting setcpu if you are overclocking so that you can set the temperture governers. Overclocking can cause overheating and this can fry your phone. I've had my phone get quite hot when doing navigation, or even heavy web browsing. It is a very nice peace of mind to have the thermal governers kick in if it gets too hot. Basically I set it up so that I lower the clock speed lower and lower and the temp gets higher.
  5. E36M3

E36M3 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I did get Setcpu and found an informative write up for it so I think I have it all set. I scooped Chevy's ulv 1.0 kernal and my phone is snappy as hell. I'm very happy so far. Now I'll give the Rom manager a shot.

Anybody know of a "strip show" boot animation? That would be hilarious!

How often do I have to wipe all cache and data? I'm hoping not that often since it takes forever to get all the apps/accounts back to where they were
  6. jeffly777

jeffly777 New Member

You pretty much never have to wipe data. It used to be a must with every ROM switch, but Chevy has even fixed that minor inconvenience. Another good root app to search for is Titanium Backup, which allows you to backup all of your apps and settings in case wiping data is necessary.

As far as cache, you never HAVE to wipe it. About once a week or so I delete the dalvik-cache. It makes the next reboot slow as hell but it seems to make the phone snappier and smoother. I know people that never wipe the cache, however. If you feel the need it's really easy now that Chevy has added the script in 4.8: ChevyNo1 tools -> scripts -> other scripts -> wipe dalvik-cache.

As far as boot animations, there are people who are much more talented than me who will make you one from a video file, or you can try to learn to do it yourself. I know there are right ups and tools available.
  7. soondolee

soondolee New Member

i'll say whenever new rom comes out?? it's just me..
  8. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

Besides overclocking, your rooted Droid is now capable of WiFi tethering. If you aren't familiar with that term, it means your Droid is now a wireless 3G hotspot. You can now get internet access for your laptop or other device through the 3G connection of your Droid. It's simple to set up too. Just download a free app from the Market called "Wireless Tether" and the rest is self explanatory. Let me know if you have any problems.