Please help! New Droid has a mind of its own!

randi

Reaction score
I just got my droid a week ago. Its not the incredible its the model before that (I'm sorry I am not tech savy whatsoever). My phone will freeze up and if I try to bring down the menu thing it will freak out and scroll up and down really fast on its own. When I was talking on it today it was pressing buttons on its own (I wascalling my power company and trying to enter my account number and it just started pressing random buttons). I have tried removing the battery. I have been to the verizon store twice and we removed all of the apps I downloaded but nothing is helping. It seems to me that someone has hacked into my phone and is messing with it. Please help me. Thanks

And to the people that said I need an adjustment period with my phone- even though I am not tech savvy I know for a fact that this is not normal. (I'm not that stupid lol). We actually have two droids and the other one works perfectly fine. Its not normal to have an incoming call and not be able to answer it because the buttons won't work. And its not normal for your screen to just start flipping out and bringing up the menu over and over. But thank you for your replies, I appreciate your help.

droidman101

Reaction score
I just got my droid a week ago. Its not the incredible its the model before that (I'm sorry I am not tech savy whatsoever). My phone will freeze up and if I try to bring down the menu thing it will freak out and scroll up and down really fast on its own. When I was talking on it today it was pressing buttons on its own (I wascalling my power company and trying to enter my account number and it just started pressing random buttons). I have tried removing the battery. I have been to the verizon store twice and we removed all of the apps I downloaded but nothing is helping. It seems to me that someone has hacked into my phone and is messing with it. Please help me. Thanks

If its not rooted, it most likely is not a virus(I haven't even heard of a virus for mobile phones), and also for someone to hack into your phone, you'd need to be rooted. Its probably a screen(hardware) issue.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I think things will calm down after you have an adjustment period with your phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Your first issue is yourself, and I don't say that to be unkind. Droid takes sometime to get use to and by your own admission you are not tech savvy.

Pressing button on it's own? If the sensor is working correctly your screen will turn black while you talk on the phone. Test this by starting the phone and put your finger up to the numeric page. if it turns black, the sensor is working properly. If not then you may have an issue with the phone.

Also try doing a factory data reset out of the privacy screen. That will clean out all your junk. Before dong this make sure you have signed into gmail and make sure you see all your contacts. When your phone syncs your contacts will be returned, and your apps should be in your downloads.

Good luck.

hendrix

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue. I have heard this from many people so it seems to be an issue with the droids themselves. It is almost like a sensor in the screen bugs out. Verizon will replace the phone under warranty for free if you take it in to them (myself and 2 friends have had the same issue).

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I think things will calm down after you have an adjustment period with your phone.

Agree.. sounds like what was happening (And still sometimes does lol) when I got my phone. Takes some adjustment to get used to how to efficiently do things with it.

Taegost

Reaction score
Actually, with 2.1 I would have all sorts of weirdness with me clicking in one part of the screen, and it registering the click as being on the opposite side. I never quite figured out what it was, it happened just enough to be slightly irritating but not enough to make me do anything about it.
The 2.2 upgrade seems to have fixed that problem.
I've also heard some of my friends that had a screen protector that was poorly installed having issues like that as well, if it is bubbled or peeling.

vandypaul

Reaction score
Mind of it' own

Just experienced it for the third time in 6 mo, unable to access some icons or it accessing whatever it wanted. Went to Verizon-new phone coming tomorrow. Does appear to be sensor related.

nds1970

Reaction score
I had this same issue with the Eris the 1st week I had it. I took it back to the store and they replaced it with another Eris. Less than a week later the 2nd one started doing it as well. I took it back to a different Verizon store and the guy there said it was a known issue and that he had seen a few come back.

I decide to try the LG Ally and so far, so good.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Happened to me this morning. Screen went crazy like I was clicking all over it. Apps were opening and closing by themselves. I noticed the battery was very low when it occurred. Most of us have read of seeing the same behavior when using a cheap knock-off charger. I think my problem was related as perhaps my phone wasn't getting the voltage it needed. I popped in another fully charged battery and all was well.

henazo

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue just yesterday, random apps loading on their own alarms setting themselves and ringtones changing and going off etc. Took the phone to verizon store and let them see the problem. They ordered a warrenty replacement after a factory reset did nothing to fix the problem. Later that night I peeled off the screen protector and noticed some residue on the glass along the left side of the screen. I cleaned the screen and have not had the problem since. So I get a new phone for free all because a little moisture got between the screen and the screen protector.

lerit50

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time when it is humid out or my screen is in a wet place (example my pocket when i start sweating :p)

Just take your shirt or other piece of clothing and, while pressing firmly, rub down your screen.

I do this all the time and it stops.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue just yesterday, random apps loading on their own alarms setting themselves and ringtones changing and going off etc. Took the phone to verizon store and let them see the problem. They ordered a warrenty replacement after a factory reset did nothing to fix the problem. Later that night I peeled off the screen protector and noticed some residue on the glass along the left side of the screen. I cleaned the screen and have not had the problem since. So I get a new phone for free all because a little moisture got between the screen and the screen protector.

Now that you have cleaned your phone off and it is working perfectly I would consider keeping that one and sending back the one you get in the mail. The new phone you get my be perfect but then again you never know what kinds of problems you may have with it. Refurbished phones are a crap shoot, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.