Please help me!

Sabina

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an HTC Inspire 4G from AT&T. I love my phone and consider myself pretty technically advanced :) HOWEVER, I am beyond confused right now. I will be traveling to Turkey next week and am not sure which way to go about using my phone there...it seems AT&T has no world bundle for phone/data/text. I would still have to pay $1.99 per minute to call back home to U.S. from Turkey.

Major Confusing Points:

1. I have a google voice account and have the app installed on my cell. I can make international calls no problem. I did some research and found that Google Voice is only supported in U.S. - so that would be out? I think...if it IS available, I don't need phone/text plan, I just need data plan to use my apps, right?

2. I also thought I could use the Call button from gmail but that also doesn't work overseas...

3. If ANYONE out there is an experienced traveler while using your own cell phone, please let me know my best option!!! So far, I would have to pay around $200 for data plan, $6/month for international roaming PLUS $1.99 (discounted from $2.99- i think) per minute and I would have to pay 50 cents per text!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a better solution. Should I just turn my data plan off before I leave and pay for the international roaming or am I better off paying for the data plan and disable roaming phone calls/texts?

mamawm

Reaction score
since the majority of us here are verizon customers and our phones don't work in europe, we just don't know how to answer your questions. here are the links to 2 of our sister sites, i'll bet someone over there will be able to help you Android Forum and AT&T Android Forum

OP
S

Sabina

Reaction score
Thank you!

thank you so much mama

minh5942

Reaction score
Hi Sabina
You can use Skype or Yahoo Messenger to call or do video chat back U.S for free. Good luck and have nice time over there.

OP
S

Sabina

Reaction score
I know about Skype & have Yahoo Msngr but to use them from my phone (I have the apps installed) I need to have ONLY a data plan...right?