please help me understand nandroid!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Jul 6, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's say I used nandroid create a backup right after applying SPRecovery. After having spent time in different ROMs, I want to go back to stock. Can I apply this backup copy or I need to go back to 2.0.1 and get 2.1 OTA?

Under what circumstances I would use this backup created by nandroid?

thanks very much!

2. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you chose system+data then restoring those (after wiping system, data, and cache) will return your Droid to how it was.

EXCEPTION#1: If you changed your baseband since then, your new baseband stays.

EXCEPTION#2: If you didn't also select to backup "Recovery" and have since changed Recovery (say from SPrecovery to Clockwork) then this unbacked-up partition will also not be restored.

In other words, if your backup is of your 2.1 Simply Stunning and now you're running Jrummy 2.2, a restore will bring it back to HOW IT WAS WHEN YOU BACKED IT UP.

E

3. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.

Let's say I backed up the system when it was 2.1. Since then, I tried frf84b.
    If I restore the backup now, what do I get? 2.1 with root, or 2.1+non-root+SPRecovery?

If SPRecovery exists, the restore copy would still prevent me getting the 2.2 OTA, is it correct?

Thanks for your help!

4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    To add to Gavron's reply

To get back to stock you need the stock recovery tool. Using SPRecovery to restore something backed up with SPRecovery will still leave you with SPRecovery installed.

You most likely used RSD Lite to install SPRecovery. You can also use it to install the stock 2.01 SBF file that will give you back the stock recovery tool. You then just take the OTA update for android 2.1

When would you use your recovery file?

You install a theme and you don't like the results. Maybe its a color thing or maybe you wrecked the app you were theming.

You install a faster kernel and it doesn't like your phone. Roll back to the recovery you took just before changing kernels.

You install a rom and your phone acts all funky. Flash back the nandroid recovery and then you can try again.

Your phone is exactly how you want it. You've make a nandroid recovery of it. You drop it in the toilet. You save the SDcard, get your replacement phone, install SPRecovery and flash the nandroid backup...and you are good to go.