Please help me troubleshoot...

Conz

Reaction score
look, i should probably get a new model phone, I understand that... but I don't want to. I want to figure out what's wrong with this one.

My phone basically got screwed the last time there was a big software update. The stock launcher stopped working so i transitioned to Go and i don't miss it... but at the same time it did something my my sd card. From that point on I haven't been able to add anything to it.

If i update an app that's on the sd card, it moves and bloats the internal memory.
I can't add new music. I've tried but they just don't play.
I had to make my camera save to the internal or else the pics get lost.

Every time i reset or plug my phone into the pc, it resets to the day of the update - June 6th. Random photos I've deleted 100 times appear in my gallery for some reason.

Among the myriad of problems to the phone itself, i think it flipped a switch on my sd card (which still seems to work fine and has ~60 gb of free space) I don't even care about the phone problems anymore. I've adjusted to those, but not being able to add more photos or have that available storage space is killing me.

I think the card makes all the files "write protected" or something now, and i can't even reset it. I tried to send the phone back to factory settings and wipe the card. it seemed like the process worked. then the phone reset and it was like i never did anything. all the files were still there.

What gives? thanks as always.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When you say you reset the phone, do you mean you've done a factory reset? Because that would be my first piece of advice.

OP
C

Conz

Reaction score
i tried to first wipe the sd card, then factory reset the phone. i went through all the steps... and the phone rebooted exactly how it was prior. i guess i'll try again, but that was really weird the first time. it took a while too, like it was in the process of going back to square one... then all the apps and files were still there

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Definitely try again. If all your apps and files were still there then it didn't factory data reset. Once you do the fdr, you should be starting from scratch as if you just bought it new. Don't forget to back up anything you want to save.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, if it's up-to-date on OS updates, I believe it's got Lollipop, which offers more of a restore feature than previous versions of Android. Make sure you tell it you want to set it up as a "new device". That should ensure that it doesn't download your apps and everything, which could be part of the problem.