please help me backup my phone

Titan33

Reaction score
i broke my screen on my droid and insurance will be sending me one in 2 days. i ran "my backup pro" on it but not positive it backed up everything cuz i couldnt tell exactly which opions said what. is there any way to back up everything via the usb cable. i searched for it but didnt find an answer that i felt comfortable with. please any advice?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
A true backup involves Nandroid, which is probably more intensive than you sound like you're interested in.

Make sure your contacts are synced with Google, use MBP to backup your call logs and SMS/MMS, and use AppBrain to sync your apps. Pull the SD Card, and wait for the new phone. When it comes, stick the SD card in, re-sync to restore contacts, use AppBrain to sync to the market, and restore with MBP.

Yes, there are better ways that are more complete, but they require root and/or Nandroid.

OP
T

Titan33

Reaction score
MPB and appbrain are programs for my pc? its nearly impossible to use the phone cuz the screen is so bad.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, they're phone apps. Unless you want to get technical, you're probably SOL. Take it as lessons learned.

OP
T

Titan33

Reaction score
ok thanks for your help i will just hope the backup did most of it

OP
T

Titan33

Reaction score
what if the apps arent from the market? would they transfer just with the sdcard?

ppppowerbook

Reaction score
I make a nandroid recovery backup every week, but that's mostly for if I lose my phone, or if it's stolen and I have to remote wipe it.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
everything from market should reinstall on your new phone when you sign in to google

Just the paid apps.... Google doesn't keep track of all of the free apps you have installed.

I use Titanium Backup Pro works very well.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
what if the apps arent from the market? would they transfer just with the sdcard?

If you have apps installed not from the market then most likely you have them on your phone's card or computer...that's how you would have installed them, right? You'll be wanting to keep your card when you swap phones so you can just reinstall them again.

OP
T

Titan33

Reaction score
ok thanks for all the replies what all gets stored on the phone memory? is there any way to transfer that also i can only see the lower half of the screen if looking when its closed