Please Help: MAJOR BATTERY DRAIN TODAY: "Media Server"

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
My battery is down to 30% in just 7 hours. Checking the battery info shows that MEDIA SERVER is the culprit. A google reveals many possible things to try.

Has anyone seen this or maybe can recommend where to start to help this issue??

AS ALWAYS, TIA!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah, it's a strange beast. It may hang around for hours, or even days. Some have had success interrupting it by stopping the service, clearing cache, rebooting, and other similar methods. Others have no success whatsoever, and it seems to run its course. I would certainly try the methods above. Also, if you have WIFI access, turn it on and leave it running. For whatever reason, perhaps simple the raw rate of transfer, WIFI seems to accelerate the natural progression of whatever it is that seems to spark this out-of-control data transferring.

I have suffered it, and in the two or three times I have, over the last 1.5 years, it seems to resolve itself for me in the 2-day range.

Good luck!

:biggrin:

Edit; Perhaps some helpful information...

[video=youtube;jbGgoiqhvfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbGgoiqhvfE&noredirect=1[/video]

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/282457-media-server-battery-drain-my-solution.html

There is some talk about duplicate "Downloads" or "downloads" folders being at the root of the problem, and this seems to be part of the video's discovery as well.

Last edited:
OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat for the great reply. As they say, misery loves company. The fact that it's most likely not my phone messed up is a big relief. I'll give it a bit; I just rebooted and keep an eye on it.

Metalunna

Reaction score
I get the Media Server Drain when I load up tons of pics and movies on my SD card. I would like to think its a run-away indexing process.
each time it's happened - usually on new phones - when i move everything from my old phone to new I :

Pop the card out..put it in a computer and copy everything locally.
Put the card back in and format it via the Settings in the phone.
Then I connect the phone up via USB and copy the files back over..

The media Server process usually kicks back in for a little bit, but it eventually stops.

I hope this scenario is similar to yours and that the fix works.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The posts I've seen seem to specifically point to the SD card as being the culprit. The reformat is a good idea.

I'm thinking some combination of the types of media on the card in conjunction with some of the "media player" apps installed.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I followed the great advice of this thread and moved what I wanted to save to a local folder; let the phone format my 64GB card and then moved just what I wanted to have on the phone back. (mostly homemade ringtones). I had a bunch of HD Shows and Movies - mainly to show of the phenom screen. I'll move back a few after a day or two to see if the problem returns. Hopefully there's a way with updates for the phone/software to handle many and large media files more efficiently.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.