please help LG Ally/email issues

jamielm76

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, and hoping to find help with my lg ally oh, i'm also new to the droid/smartphone world lol

my problem is my email. i have had a yahoo email for years now it's where everyone knows to send me messages, all my accounts use this email address. I have had the ally since july, no probs until a couple days ago when the lg ally update came through.
I don't recieve notifications that i have new emails but at random times-like last night all night no new messages notifications...until this morning it said i had 16 new mails. and even then some didn't come thru cuz i had a friend send me test messages and those never came (was on phone with her when she sent them so i know she did). also when i try to goto my inbox and hit refresh i get a yellow bar at the top that says connection error.
i have already been to the verizon store and talked on phone with tech support for 2 hrs all to no avail. has anyone had this problem? any tips tricks or advice? oh, and i have my email notifications set to every 15 minutes. I know i can just use a gmail account but it will be a pain in the butt to change everything i have to it. TIA

mikesmom58

Reaction score
I also have a yahoo account and have the exact same phone with exactly the same problem. I have also been unsucceessful finding any help for this issue. Anyone out there that can help?? Please!?!? I use my phone/email for everything including work. This is totally screwing up my life right now. With this added to all the other problems I have been experienced with verizon and this phone I am thisclose to terminating my contract early and going back to sprint.

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
with mine it's synced cuz i will get random emails at random times, but not all will come thru but i can check it on my home computer and all my emails are there. like yesterday no alerts on my phone for new emails-then today around noon it says i have 16 new emails. then when i go into them read them, reply then delete the message, i goto my home screen then back into email and there's that same message again as a new email even though i just deleted it. Its now 2pm no new notifications on the phone, but just checked my email on my computer and there's new messages there. And i still get the connection error message when i hit refresh in my mail on the cell.

OP
J

jamielm76

Reaction score
@mikesmom-i spent 2 hrs at the verizon store and another 1.5 hrs on the phone with tech support tried all different things even a master reset but to no avail. i encourage you to call verizon and let them know what's going on even if they can't fix it. the tech lady said that they can't really do much about it unless it's a common issue amongst customers with the same phone-so basically it looks like i just dunno what i'm doin since no other probs have been reported to them for them to look into and see if it was a problem with the update they initiated or with the manufacturing of the ally. So please call and let them know. If i come up with anything that works or fixes it i will definately post back here and let ya know-

sleepysoo

Reaction score
Me Too!

I'm having massive problems with my email too since the update. I'm using the email app that came with the phone b/c the yahoo mail app does not have a feature where I can access mutliple accounts. My problem is that after reading and deleting emails, it will still come back. The ONLY way I can get rid of the emails that I read and delete is to do it from a computer.

Is anyone else having this problem? It's sooo annoying!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forums, sleepysoo!

There are a few options. K9mail is an excellent app, so you could give that a try. Next, make sure you're running the latest version of the default e-mail app.

mikesmom58

Reaction score
First off please understand that this is my very first "smart phone". I have always had the old flip phones with no "bells & whistles" so I may not understand a lot of what you ask and I hope I can explain things in a way you can understand. I am using the plain jane "email" app that was on the phone when I got it. I do not like any of the yahoo mail apps I have found. The app I am using is perfect for what I need. How do I make sure I am running the latest version of the default email app? I always do the updates as my phone tells me about them. I am also having the problem with the deleting emails and them reappearing immediately. My phone will get some random emails but usually only after I open the app and refresh. Then it comes thru with a bunch of emails then I get a yellow bar with "connection error" in it.
jamielm76-I will contact tech support and let them know. I have already spent time in the store with them but my experiences with Verizon so far have taught me that the reps in the store are not only (mostly) ignorant and rude, but they certainly do not indicate any issues you bring to them on your account. I hope the reps in the store in your area are better, but mine are terrible.
furbearingmammal-Is there any other info I can give you to help diagnose this problem? Thank you so much for even attempting to help. I guess my sync is on (like jamielm76) cuz I also get random emails, but honestly I do not know how to check to find out for certain sync is on. Like I said above, using the default email app that came on the phone. Thanks again for anything you can do to help!!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sync is turned on in Settings> Accounts & Sync Make sure everything is turned on.

Now, what are you using to get your e-mail? What program? Are there updates available for it in the market? You can usually find out by going to the market app and hitting the menu softkey once the market loads. At that point select "Downloads" and wait for them to load. If you have any updates, install them.

When I said K9 mail I meant to use it as a replacement mail application, but the problem is you might have some difficulty with the setup. I personally do not use it (I do 99.95% of my e-mail on my computer), but it seems the majority of the power users do. That's a pretty good recommendation, as far as I'm concerned. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
One more thing -- if you're not using the Yahoo mail client and you're getting Yahoo mail, try running the Yahoo mail client just to see if it fixes your issue. :)

zappaboggs

Reaction score
Hi... I appear to be having the same type issue ever since I upgraded a few days ago... I am using the default client... Up until the issue, The client would check for email every 5 minutes and download with no problem... Now it gets snagged with a Connection Error... I notice the second time I "Refresh" i will pick up the mail...

Has anyone have any resolve on this???

Thanks in advance...

mikesmom58

Reaction score
Okay I installed the Yahoo! Mail client and it is okay, I guess, but it does not notify me every time I have a new message. Also not as easy to navigate as the default mail client I was using. There are no updates in the market for the default mail, as a matter of fact I cannot even find the default mail in the market. I have contacted Verizon and informed them of the problem but really have gotten nowhere (not suprising). Another problem I am finding since the update is one of my favorite apps (TMZ) gets all jacked up everytime I shut my phone down and restart and I have to uninstall and reinstall it. I imagine this is a problem with the app and not the phone but idk if anyone else is having similar problems as well. I guess I will just have to continue using the Yahoo! mail app until something is done. Truthfully I would like to just ditch Verizon altogether because it's been 1 thing after another with the phone, the apps, the service, the customer service, etc. Sorry, don't mean to complain. Thanks for everyone's help (esp you furbearingmammal) and please keep the suggestions coming as I will try anything to get my email back to the way it was.