Please help: Left side of touch screen not working

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by artjr, Mar 25, 2010.

1. artjr

artjr New Member

I left this question in another Forum, guess I should have started here. Anyway, when I woke up this morning my back button and the left side of my touch screen is not working. What I mean by that is for example the side where the "phone" icon is, is not operating when pressed. And when I press my back button, nothing happenes. The back button is lite up, but when pressed nothing happenes. The bottom buttons operate fine and the other icons (ones not on left side) operate fine. Very weird. I tried a battery pull and a reboot and a reflash, nothing helps. I am running Ultimate Droid V8. I would appreciate any help.

Thank You
    Art
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Is it the whole left side or just the back button? And does it still not work in lanscape?
  3. artjr

artjr New Member

It is the back button. The other 3 buttons operate ok. When I open keyboard up, the back button still does not operate and left side of screen icons dont operate. Example, when I first signed into my google account, you know the part where you have to open the keyboard, I can NOT hit the "signin" icon cause it wont work. I have to hit the enter key pad to get it to sign in.

4. jstafford1

Another person posted of a touch screen malfunction. If reflashing or going back to stock does not work I suggest going to verizon. But do go back to stock(unrooted) before that of course.
  5. artjr

artjr New Member

Do you know what the manufacture warrenty is on the droid? I had it over 30 days. Yes, I returned it to stock (unrooted) and still the back button does not operate. It sucks cause I am in NY and I purchased it in PA. I am here visiting my daughter and not sure if Verizon can help me here.

Thank You for your help though

Art
  6. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

hehe that would be me. I've been doing two things, some thinking and avoiding exchanging the phone out. So today, I'm going to get another motorola battery to see if I'm having an issue with that. Even if not, I can use the spare. Will keep you posted.
  7. jstafford1

I believe the manufactures warranty is 1yr. Verizon should be able to help if they can. If not give motorola a call and see what they can do. If nothing else if you got insurance on it that should be covered, be out 90 bucks but better than nothing.
  8. viscious

viscious New Member

Same Issue

I am having the exact same symptoms as the original poster. A few days ago my droid updated with an OTA update from verizon. I don't know if this is related or not.

This phone is completely stock, not rooted, no custom Roms etc. Very few applications installed on it.

I am 4 months away from verizon allowing me to get upgrade pricing. Is there anything I can do other than buy a new phone at full price?

No phone insurance.
  9. aaashley

aaashley New Member

Same thing here no back button, no use of left side of screen. i had to uninstall bejeweled bc i couldnt move game pieces if they were on left side. cant use the letter "A" in a text or turn on caps also cant put the number "1" in a message. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:icon_evil:
  10. droid doctor

droid doctor New Member

Have you tried to do a battery pull?
  11. aaashley

aaashley New Member

I know i've tried pulling the battery idk about the OP. I've taken batt out, left phone off 2-3 days, cleaned screen. As if this issue was not enuff my phone has also become a ghost writter and goes crazy.
  12. droid doctor

droid doctor New Member

You should take it back to Verizon get a replacement.
  13. aaashley

aaashley New Member

yea i called my usual verizon store i've gone to for the last 3-4 years plus one of the sales floor reps was always very nice to me & gave me honest advice on what phones people had problems with or returned even when i came into the store wanting a certain phone i had seen online he said---oh no u do not want that phone and sold me the way better one and was also cheaper than the way in had wanted. i thought that was awesome since he probably wrkd off commision anyways long story short he moved up to a management position & hooked me up big time when i got my droid several cases body glove this or that car chargers the works so when my droid started crazyness i called him up big surprise he dont work there asked for his understudy that wld hook me up too they told me wat store he went to. so i called toldmhim the deal he said yeah i know its a hardware software issue asked him when the droid charger 4G wld be released he said was already supposed to but they pushed it back till nov or dec and besides when it does come out kansas city doesnt have 4G yet anyway so he told me to bring my droid1 in and exchange it for the thunderbolt which he said is a great phone and no problems reported or returns or customer complaints and then when the droid charger is released he will trade out the thunderbolt for it even though i might not want to by then bc tb is awesome. ill keep u guys posted. sorry so long
  14. droid doctor

droid doctor New Member

That's nice to hear but I heard the droid charge sucked.
  15. Rento

Rento New Member

I just got this issue today T____T my contract doesn't end till September... I also do not have a warranty on my phone.

Back softkey and the whole row above it does not work... whole sensor is dead. Sometimes it'll even trip out and just try and select things randomly across the screen... :(

This bites.

EDIT: I wonder if the issue is the digitizer? From what I read is that it controls/senses the touch...? They're $20 on eBay...
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  16. Zarthrax

Zarthrax New Member

Same issue as Rento, except I have full coverage from Asurian on it.

I like my Droid, I don't want to have to upgrade my phone, but since Asurian's website keeps telling me that I need to talk to VW CS about the one year Manufacturer's Warrenty (which I've had confirmed at a Verizon store that is expired on my phone), I'm going to have to unless someone else knows how to penetrate a nonresponsive website?
Search tags for this page
android touch screen not working

droid 2 left side of screen not working

droid bionic touch not responding on left side
htc desire one left side screen not working
iphone 4 left side of screen not working
left side of droid touch screen not working
left side of htc screen not working
left side of not phone working
left side of phone not working

left side of touch screen not working

left side touch screen not working