Please help in rooting Droid, Boss will fire me!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by fifthmanstanding, Jun 20, 2011.

1. fifthmanstanding

fifthmanstanding New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to sound really pathetic and I apologize ahead of time but I could really use the help, heck, my job security may depend on this lol.

My boss's boss's boss got wind that I new a few things about android/computers/electronics ect. I mean, I've rooted an android device or two before, mostly nook colors and a droid X. So he decided that it would be a great idea to give me his personal phone, the holy grail that the company is tied to and ask me to root it for him and to enable tethering. It's an original Droid, which I've never messed with before. He wants gingerbread on it and he wants to be able to tether his laptop to it. The safety of my career and continued employment pretty much rests on not screwing this up. Oddly. You would think it would rest on something occupationally related right? Anway, I told him to that I'd do some reading and get back to him, though he's expecting me to solve this quickly.

My questions:

1) an original motorola droid running (presumably) froyo, can it be upgraded to gingerbread? I know there's a few gingerbread roms out there, would it be advisable to do so? If so, how?

2)Is tethering even an option for this phone? If so. How?

The almighty google's not being very helpful and I figured that you guys could give me a clear and concise direction into a how to or something.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. destin246

destin246 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had a d1 but there are many people here that can help u I think u can root with z4 google z4 root apk and u can download that and root It there are gingerbread roms also but I wouldn't know how to install them

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

3. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Google "root droid 1 regardless of OS". Follow the instructions, and you're good to go. Then some GB based D1 roms are :

SS 5.4
    GPA 15
    Liquid Gingerbread
    More....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. speedfreeq

speedfreeq Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Z4 root is now available on the Amazon app store, if you want to go that route.
    If the device has got to work consistently with no bugs, I'd leave it Froyo. There are a number of good GB ROMs out now, but nearly all of them have at least one or two bugs on nearly all devices. The D1 was just not built for it.
    Project Elite 4.2 or LFY are both outstanding examples that I've used.
    The D1 is essentially brick- proof, especially once you have a recovery image installed. You won't have any problems.

5. bullswife98

bullswife98 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Z4root WILL NOT ROOT OG. DROID. If it's on v2.2.2 stock, it will not work. Must use above method root android regardless what version or super-one-click link in xda developers site.

ROOTED: DROID1,RZRECOVERYv2.0.3
    ROM: LIQUID GINGERBREAD v2.0
    KERNAL: STOCK, 600/250
    THEME: B-BOY:FUSTER CLUCK,with Animated statusbar

6. droids4life

droids4life New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The way I did it over a yr ago was to ask in the search field "root for og droid" I believe pe3 had a great post w/ links of what to download. the files you will need are:
    RSDlite 4.6 This will actually install a recovery needed to root
    VZW_a855_esd56_Qsc6085bp_c_01.3e.0...

There are also youtube video's that will be linked from PE3's link showing step by step.

Once you root, you can stay stock, which if you don't want to be a slave to your boss's boss's boss and constantly have to tweak, I would recomend this.

I personally follow Liquid and use his liquid gingerbread (lgb 2.0)

Good luck to you!

7. jchammer123

jchammer123 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The easiest way to root the og droid is through SuperOneClick!!! And I would definitely put a gingerbread rom on the droid. The trusty ol D1 has already had 2.3.4, which most of the newer phones are still waiting!

8. droids4life

droids4life New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So very true about being brick proof. I bricked like 5 times in the beginning and recovered no problem. Just need to ask the right q's in search engine. Once you are rooted, if you go into recdovery you can do a nandroid backup and always revert to last good save.

9. fifthmanstanding

fifthmanstanding New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys.

No one's touched tethering for the OG Droid though. Is it possible?

10. droids4life

droids4life New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, WiFi Tether appears in market after being rooted. yes it works.

11. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    It's called "Wireless Tether for Root Users."

12. atcjeff

atcjeff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    www.droid-life.com has a guide for rooting the droid. As far as gingerbread roms, I reccomend chevy's simply stunning (SS 5.4) or liquid's LGB. LGB 2.0 can be found in his thread but his newest rom, LGB 2.1 is posted on rootzwiki. I personally like SS 5.4 better. Has a cool blue look and feel. Ur going to want to get Set CPU and titanium backup from the market as well after u root. He will have to pay for those but well worth it. Really blow his mind and make a custom pull down shade with the company logo!

Search tags for this page

droidboss