Please help; I think I want to root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Isaiah, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, ordinarily I'm pretty... anti...messing-with-device-software-until-warranty/contract-are-up. But, I am extremely eager for 2.1, and my constantly checking news on it has seriously started to impact my productivity.:icon_eek:

1. What I want to know: Does anybody have a (rough is cool) idea of what the odds are of bricking a phone via rooting? (and if I do, can I get it replaced with the insurance or do I have to buy a new phone?)
    2. What I want: I want an ESE53 build that was meant for the droid, not something designed for another phone.
      Live wallpapers are something I want. But I don't want the 3d launcher.(because i've heard its a bit buggy, and I've dealt with home ++ and helix making my phone crash -- and I hate that so much)

So, can anybody pleeeaase help? I don't really need links if thats too much work, can somebody just fill me in(maybe with names and stuff?) thanks!

2. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Download DroidMod's DMupdater. use that to do all the hard work Root, SPRecovery etc... Then flash what ever ROM you would like via Nandroid. I use Ultimate Droid. Its simple and easy

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That was F-ing fast. Is there anything that sets ultimate apart? What is nandroid?

4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you means no fcs on the launcher, or that it doesn't have the 3d one?

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    - If you want to install a ROM other than Bugless Beast, or if you are coming from a ROM other than Bugless Beast, I highly suggest wiping your data before you do so to eliminate any problems <<do i need to wipe my droid??

7. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A Nandroid is a backup feature in SPRecovery that let's you take a snapshot of your phone for easy retrieval when you make a change that you don't particularly like or worse: The Dreaded Boot Loop

I would recommend reading up on rooting and after that rereading everything for good measure. DroidMod is an awesome app but what makes it so good can create a user flaw in that it's so easy that you can root your phone without knowing much about the process.

Check this thread out HERE, it's filled with great info that anyone even considering hacking their phone should read.

Do your homework and happy modding

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    are there any mod's that have multitouch in the default browser??

9. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know of any roms around that don't. I think they incorporate the browser from the milestone, which will be your default after flashing the rom

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats kinda a bummer, i thought there were some new roms based off this latest version ESE53 for the droid? is that wrong?

11. Droidfish

Droidfish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I could have phrased that better. Pretty much every rom does have multitouch in the browser.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Is there a comparison of Roms anywhere? Id really love a link to that if it exists, just so i can fully know what im getting into