1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Please help, I just fell into the Da Vinci Code and out onto a Doomsday Machine

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by leutbneot, Apr 18, 2011.

1. leutbneot

leutbneot New Member

I recently installed LGB 1.6 because my normal bread-and-butter, MIUI, is going through some growing pains as it matures into a full GB ROM. No problem, I thought. I LOVE testing other other ROMs, especially good ones like LGB and Bugless and UD that I haven't run in a while.

So here I was, playing with my brand new copy of LGB (happy as a clam, btw; this is a great, great ROM, guys!), when I stumbled across the Liquid Settings menu. No biggie, most of the high-end ROMs have this - I believe it's originally a Cyanogen thing; a place to keep all the hacker-friendly stuff in one place. It's actually super convenient - one place to go when you want to swear a cop in MORE code using your LED light, one place to go when you want to get rid of that goddamn preinstalled Email program, etc.

But I've discovered something, deep in the nested and subfoldered (...?) bowels of the LGB Liquid Settings Menu, something I can't explain. There's no information about it anywhere on the Internet, either. And it has the most maddeningly vague and mysterious, yet simultaneously TOTALLY AWESOME sounding name. As soon as some poor soul sees it, their priorities are instantly replaced by the one and only goal of finding out what the hell this is and what it's doing in the nether-regions of this ROM. It's like the zombie virus for Andro-nerds.

Discovering the true etymology of this menu option becomes all-consuming, probably (especially?) because there's NOTHING out there online. It's really weird. Liquid is a pretty well known ROM developer; thousands of people run his ROMs. I admit I only did a relatively cursory search, but my Google skills are well-honed. I found only lost links to long-forgotten articles; pages that may have harbored a hint at one point, dutifully cached by Google and lost to the darkness. Hard not to get your techie-panties in a twist, hm?

Let's go together, shall we? I'm on a D1, Build number "Liquid Gingerbread v1.6", Mod version "liquid.gingy20110412.094210". I'm using whatever kernel came with the LGB 1.6 install; says here it's Kernel version "2.6.32.9_rMoD_250-1100_corcor67@corcor67-desktop #8". Sorry for the boring crap, just want to make sure we're all on the same page in case anyone else actually wants to find out what this is.

Directions from the homescreen: Settings -> Liquid Settings -> Interface -> Power Widget -> Widget Buttons, and then, at the VERY BOTTOM of this long, long list of options, there's an option for Flash Mode. And it has a descriptive subtext that, unlike all the other descriptions, does NOT change when you change your selection of that particular menu item.

Flash Mode has two options: Normal, and High / Death Ray. No matter which one you have selected, the item in the menu reads, "Flash Mode: Choose High / Death Ray". It is the only instance of non-neutral advice in the entire subsection. Everywhere else, the submenus offer explanation; here, they offer no such thing, instead opting to just TELL you what to pick, since one choice is so clearly superior. It's called DEATH RAY, for Christ's sake. NOT choosing it would clearly be the act of a coward or a fool, or a cowardly fool. A madman with no balls.

By labeling it "Death Ray", and then demonstrating to you its obvious superiority over the other option - no matter which option you choose, the program tells you to choose the Death Ray - the LFY designers have led me into a conundrum:

First, I want to know what the f#%)ing thing does. It obviously has something to do with one of the menu options that you can add to the pull-down menu, but it's not the LED Torch (the most obvious choice, since you can't control the camera from there) and I'm now too tired after writing this 4000 word screed to try anything else. the one that was clearly called the "***** option" at work, or "the Lumbergh Ray", after the ***** boss that forced its inclusion as a total wuss-out option for the geriatric set (as if they know how to ROM up their Androids!) - and doing it in such a flat-out, uncompromising, utterly-sure-in-his-belief-in-the-superiority-of-the-Death-Ray, - it's taunting your masculinity, even if you're a woman. Figure THAT out. I can't, and I've been wasting my time writing this for almost a half hour.

The Death Ray is calling you out. No, the Death Ray is calling us ALL out. Telling us that unless we blindly (seriously, I've turned the thing on and off like a hundred times, I have no idea what it does) pick the Death Ray, with absolutely no explanation of what it is, where it comes from, what it's for, or even if it's in any way related to the operation of the phone AT ALL (for all we know, this is the new form that the CIA's decided to use to advance ARPA's infamous PROJECT MK-ULTRA, the experiments they conducted during the Cold War to try and create mind-control serums using LSD and advanced social conditioning techniques). Someone, quickly, tell me what this does before I lose my mind! I can feel it all slipping away...
  2. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter New Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    If I remember correctly its for a certain phone that isn't a D1. Turn it on all you want and it wont do anything for us. That's why it don't work. ;-)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. cujo6801

cujo6801 Member

I've truely have enjoyed reading this....thank you...
  4. khalos

khalos New Member

you could of just asked what is the normal/high /death ray option under liquid settings... and by the way if you turn it on death ray, your flashlight will turn into a beaming disco ball :icon_ banana: :icon_ rocker: :icon_ owned:
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. abadbronc

abadbronc New Member

That was truly a great post leutbneot.

The setting you are referring to is for the widget bar flashlight. You used to have the same options when you open Torch from the app drawer, now it's called "high brightness". "Death Ray" makes your flash light up a little bit brighter.

Hope that clears things up.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

Pssssst Death Ray = Extra High
  7. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Psssss. I use the Death Ray on my lady during that time of the month.
  8. liquid0624

liquid0624 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Lmfao I found this quite interesting
  9. TopDroid

TopDroid New Member

This is funny!!! LOL!!! Thats the longest, most unnecessary, description/question I have ever read....but I like it. Btw, I think when you point the DEATHRAY at a human being or let's say a "pet dog or cat", and they look at it for more than 30 seconds, it instantly vaporizes them or something. I never tried it on a human but thats what Ive heard happens...however, i used it on my pet hamster for 15 seconds and he went into a coma for 17 days... just be careful with it buddy. Its dangerous.
  10. circsmonky

circsmonky Premium Member Premium Member

well since small aspects of LGB including the Liquid Settings is based from CM which is out for more than one phone, this setting is from that. the D1 has 1 flash setting, but my HTC Thunderbolt has 3 brightness for the flashlight.
  11. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

So this has nothing to do with the high setting in torch?
  12. abadbronc

abadbronc New Member

One software or hardware setting? My D1 gets a lot brighter when I change the settings in torch but not when I change to Death Ray in Liquid settings. Strange.
Search tags for this page
cm flash setting death ray

flash mode high death ray

flash mode high/death ray