Please Help- Droid x got wet

wolfy32

Reaction score
Well, I'll make this brief. Yesterday my Droid - x got wet, it was in water for 10 seconds, maybe 20, not fully submerged, and I instantly and instinctively got it out as quickly as possible. It took me a couple minutes but, i quickly got the battery pulled. Might have been 3 or 4 minutes with the battery still attached.

I dried it as quickly as possible in paper towels, and left the backing off the battery out and later pulled the sim card.

I put it in front of a desk fan and next to some heat from a laptop. I let it be since this happened yesterday morning. I constantly would rotate it in front of the fan every hour or so, and did the same with the battery.

Now, approximately 24 hours later, I put the battery back in, tried turning it on, no response. I plugged the ac adapter in, no response. Quickly pulled the battery and it's back in front of the fan...

Is there any chance of rescuing it? I can't afford $600.00 to purchase a new one. I also need a phone starting tomorrow! ARG!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jasko's suggestion seems to be the option of choice. Good luck.

Mike

OP
W

wolfy32

Reaction score
How long do you have to sign up for insurance? I've had the phone for less than 30 days.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
You do have up to 30 days to sign up, if you choose to go that route. Some would say it is dishonest. Your choice. Not sure if they do it, but i have been with a company before that required that you make at least one phone call from the phone after you sign up for insurance before it would go into effect.

OP
W

wolfy32

Reaction score
4 or 5 days.. Errg... Do you know if I can turn on my old phone and use that temporarily? Or because my account is setup with the droid, do I have to do something special to switch back. I had a BB storm, that the touch screen didn't work very well, with no water damage. It would at the very least allow me to answer calls (sporaticaly when the touch screen worked.)

OP
W

wolfy32

Reaction score
Thanks for the support for those that offered positive encouragement. I think I'm royally screwed. I checked and I got my phone July 21st. So, I have had it for 1 month. I just transferred my account over to my BB storm (the original), which I've had for 2 years and the touchscreen is borderline responsive (no water damage).

I talked to verizon, the greater suggested I leave, come home, and sign up for insurance. He tried to tell me if I talked to someone there I would not be able to get insurance, but if I went home and signed up for it, I'd be fine.

My ethical and moral compass didn't allow me to do this, and I'm glad I didn't, because, truth be told, It's be 4 days over a month... So I wouldn't have qualified to sign up anyways and it's fraudulant.

So, at least I'm an honest person, and I'm screwed... Unless I want to pay retail for a replacement. I haven't given up complete hope. The sales man said all of the water indicators were activated in the phone.. So, it got pretty wet. I have it in the dash of my truck in direct sunlight to try to dry it out. I'll bring it in tomorrow afternoon and put it next to the dehumidifier.

I prefer not to do this since my house runs at 60% humidity, so, not sure how dry it'll get with that much moisture.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I especially appreciate the link. I'm going to follow that advice. I'll wait at least until Sunday before trying again. Worse case, I'll get a small allan wrench set and pull the phone a part to see how damp or wet it is and see if there's any visible signs of damage.

But, I want to be 150% sure I've given it enough time to dry out before I take any chances at wripping something as delecate as a phone apart.

What is the percentage chance of "drying the phone out" working? Does it succeed 20% of the time? 80% of the time? 10%?

I've got one last thing I'm going to try other than that, and that's to check my CC company. It's not even paid off yet, and so I was going to see if there's a CC insurance coverage of any type. (slim to none unless this coverage is free..)

OP
W

wolfy32

Reaction score
I agree. I'm stuck with a BB for 2 years now. Thinking of getting rid of the data plan to save some money and just having the BB for text and phone. The internet interface and other tools are so clunky on the BB. plus the touchscreen doesn't work well enough for browsing..