Please help. Droid has the shakes

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is actually worse than I first thought. When scrolling on a screen and my finger stops (to stop scrolling, not to long press) the screen starts shaking up and down and if you keep it going, it will start randomly selecting things. For example:

I scroll down through my contacts and without lifting my finger, stop scrolling, the screen starts shaking, and faster than my eyes can keep up, it selects call log at the top, then someone in there and then opens their contact. It's not always the same.

Before I knew what happened, I'd deleted 2 emails just scrolling to view the inbox.

I've rebooted and battery pulled. It has NOT gotten wet and only cleaning is the wiping with the T-shirt. I don't want to pull off the screen protector yet as I'm on vacation and my others are at home. But will if people have run into this and it absolutely was the protector.

Any experience with this? I'm going to a small family reunion today and my cousin is all excited about seeing my phone and don't want to have to show off a POS. :blink:

Thanks

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, it not just scrolling, when you long press an icon like say to move it, it shakes around too while holding it. It's like the phone can't determine where exactly my finger is.

I restored to an earlier setting, and fixed the issue, but by the time I re-arranged the icons to where I wanted them and used bettercut to change the icons, the issue was back. This may be the most frustrating thing that's come up. Very difficult to use. You try and select multiple emails to delete, and the check box (or buttons) won't detect your press or you press and it scrolls really fast.

Very buggy.

Stretch2m

Reaction score
I've seen similar behavior occasionally when I try to operate the touch screen one-handed with my thumb, coming up over the touch screen from the side of the device. When I hold the phone in one hand and use my other hand's index finger to operate the touch screen from the front, this doesn't happen. I think (maybe?) when coming at it from the side, there is too much of my finger touching the screen at once, and the screen doesn't know what exactly to do, resulting in the shaking. Could that be what is happening in your case? (Also, I have big fingers, which probably contributes to the problem.)

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought that to but just the tip of the finger does it to

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Update!

Good news: Doing a battery pull fixed the problem.
Bad news: It comes back. Also, a battery pull doesn't fix it every time. Some times the issue is so bad, I can't even long press an icon long enough to move it... it just won't think I'm pressing in that location long enough, but rather some where (every where) else.

This is bad.

If I reload stock and have to return the phone for a new one, if I root the new one and install SPRecovery, can I restore to my latest setup on the SD card?

Still would prefer a solution to this.

Last edited:
OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Today, it does it while charging. Can't long press, it just treats it like a click.
Pull off the charger, and it's fine. We'll see how long that lasts while I'm at Disneyland.

Can't believe no one else has had this issue.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to continue this one sided conversation, the phone is still operating normally when not plugged in. Plug it in (for charging, transferring files, etc) the phone is almost unusable.

This all started after using the phone's resources on our trip to where it appeared it wouldn't charge (using the battery as fast as it was being replenished). The CPU never made it higher than 132F but it was there for a while.

Bueller? You hearin' me?

RoMMz

Reaction score
Have you charged your droid using a cheap USB wall charger(usually comes in white)? I have a friend with the same problem and ever since he used that crappy USB charger his screen has been randomly going crazy(when charging and when not charging). I'm starting to think that charger screwed up his phone.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you charged your droid using a cheap USB wall charger(usually comes in white)? I have a friend with the same problem and ever since he used that crappy USB charger his screen has been randomly going crazy(when charging and when not charging). I'm starting to think that charger screwed up his phone.

Thanks for the thought. I've only used the one that came with the phone, the car charger from the Verizon store, and USB to laptop. Did your friend find a fix?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks for the thought. I've only used the one that came with the phone, the car charger from the Verizon store, and USB to laptop. Did your friend find a fix?

I reading this board since early November and every single time, as I recall, reading about an issue such as you are describing, it has been traced to 1) faulty chargers, 2) not factory chargers, 3) cheap usb cables and in one case a bad touch screen. I think yours may be a program that isn't working right or a malfunctioning widget. It seems that your problem goes away sometimes, after a battery pull, but comes back as, or after, you are loading programs and widgets back on the phone. Try not loading that stuff back and see if the problem still returns. Add programs and Icon back one at a time and see if the problem returns after a particular item is added. Good luck.

How's your battery life?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
dude you got something sticky on your screen thats probably hardened and the screen thinks something is pressing or touching it.. I am guessing..least thats what mine does everytime I leave a sugar daddy on the screen all night to keep it warm :) :icon_eek:

RoMMz

Reaction score
No, still no fix. We even tried Rooting it and it still ended up having the same problem. It does it randomly and it doesn't help to restore the phone to factory default.(Still does it)

Reaction score
i actually have the same "problem" but i think its due to the fact that i have a screen protector on..which didnt go on as smoothly as i wanted to...but i think before i put a SP on..it was ok..but idk bout u

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I reading this board since early November and every single time, as I recall, reading about an issue such as you are describing, it has been traced to 1) faulty chargers, 2) not factory chargers, 3) cheap usb cables and in one case a bad touch screen. I think yours may be a program that isn't working right or a malfunctioning widget. It seems that your problem goes away sometimes, after a battery pull, but comes back as, or after, you are loading programs and widgets back on the phone. Try not loading that stuff back and see if the problem still returns. Add programs and Icon back one at a time and see if the problem returns after a particular item is added. Good luck.

How's your battery life?
Battery has been good considering OC'd and a few widgets. I'm running the battery down to the point where I assume I will get a warning, then reboot and recharge to see if I get some sort of "reset".

dude you got something sticky on your screen thats probably hardened and the screen thinks something is pressing or touching it.. I am guessing..least thats what mine does everytime I leave a sugar daddy on the screen all night to keep it warm :) :icon_eek:
...and...
i actually have the same "problem" but i think its due to the fact that i have a screen protector on..which didnt go on as smoothly as i wanted to...but i think before i put a SP on..it was ok..but idk bout u
In regards both your suggestions, I thought it was the screen too but for the last two days it's fine when not charging. I peeled back the protector and tried it while charging and was still an issue.

I thought of the app issue and instead of going through the uninstallation of everything, I went ahead and installed ESE53 2.1 and before installing anything, I tried it. Low and behold, it was still an issue when charging, and that's straight from the fresh install.

christophersquid

Reaction score
assuming you've rooted, you can boot into recovery, make a nandroid, put the nandroid on your computer. After going back to stock and all that, just re-root, open the recovery back up, put your nandroid back on your phone, and you'll have your past settings and home screen set-ups and all that jazz.