PLEASE Help Droid 2 and Zedge Ringtones Keep Changing!

eg146

Reaction score
I kinda posted this before but worded it wrong and was not able to resolve the issue.

Let me stress I'm 44 and not tech savvy at all. Didn't grow up with technology and am coming to Android from Blackberry where everything is very simple to use for those of us who don't need to do much customization.

OK so now that you know I'm very technically challenged, let me see if anyone knows how to resolve an annoying issue with my Verizon Droid 2.

The phone comes with some ringtones/notifications. However for business use these sounds aren't what I prefer to use. So I did what I had done on Blackberry, I bought a professional Ringtone program, RCP Ringtones and found 5 others I liked on Zedge.

The tones were put on the BB and when I wanted to change a sound, there was only one file that popped up and all the tones I added were in that file along with the BB stock tones.

With Droid it's not the case. There is a choice I have to make when choosing a ringtone: Android or Zedge system. The RCP tones aren't even an option.

Now here is where the problem comes in, about once a week or anytime the phone is turned off or battery changed, all the Zedge tones that were set for the phones ringer and email notification stop working and the phone will revert to a tone from the stock tones that came with the phone.

It's annoying when this happens if I'm working and my phone starts yelling "DROID,BEEP BEEP,DROID" plus the other sounds are changed.

All I want to do is to have all the ringtones in the same file, the default Android file or have a dependable program on the phone that will not allow the phone to switch tones at will or when I need to swap out the battery.

I was told to put them on my SD card but I tried and can't seem to figure out how to do anything with the phone connected to the PC.

Blackberry has the Desktop Manager which was perfect for someone like me. Is there anything like this for Droid or a very simplified explanation on how to put the tones on the Droid 2 so they wont continually quit working when the phone decides to act up?

I really appreciate any help or advice and would be glad to pass it along to anyone else having the same problem.

Happy New Year!

duck on quack

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the RCP app, but I have used Zedge. Your ringtones should already be on your sdcard if you downloaded them through the app, in a folder called Zedge (or something similar). You can also put your own mp3s somewhere on the sdcard yourself; this is done by connecting the phone via USB and selecting the "USB Mass Storage" option through the notification blind. There are free apps on the market, such as Ringdroid, which allow you to edit or shorten the mp3s to your liking and then set them as the ringtone.

If you do not see the downloaded files when completing the action through Android System, complete the action through Zedge and you will see your files. Once set, these should appear in the system list.

I have no idea why your ringtones would be reverting to stock, though; I have used Zedge ringtones for a while now. Under Settings > Sound > Notifications, make sure your correct ringtone is selected and it should stay that way. Have you perhaps installed a ROM and cleared data/cache through this process?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
Droid 2 Ringtones Changing

Thank you for the simplified explanation. I did take a chance and connect the phone to the pc.
The Zedge ringtones never disappeared they just weren't able to play. I get an error saying something like media format not supported. That's probably why someone told me to install another media player which I did. It was Power Amp but I couldn't figure out how to work it so I uninstalled it.
My Zedge ringtones stay in the Zedge app they just can't play now and then so the phone will play a default tone.

After 4 hours of searching the web today i found an answer to putting them in a media file which did place all my ringtones under the Android option. I used something called Moto Blur?? And did the USB Mass Storage mode.
The weird thing now is that of the 58 ringtones I had from RCP and Zedge, each ringtone is showing up 3 times. I searched the SD card again and found they are in the Media folder I created today and in a Ringtones folder??

Then they were also in a folder Mobile>Music. I deleted everything from that one and got down to 2 copies of each ringtone but now I'm not sure which file needs to be deleted to get rid of the duplicates.

Is it the ringtone file or the Media>Ringtones>MP3s>Notificattions>Alarms or the Ringtone file?

I know it sounds super simple to most but I don't have an extra 3 hours to mess around with this phone again.

Also the Moto Blur program is junk. It would transfer 18 of the ringtones I put in a file when I sat there and put all 58 in one by one. I'm definately gonna get rid of that program.

So now that I figured out how to make a file, which one do I keep to have only one option for sounds, Android?

Thanks again for your help!

Oh, I have never deleted anything on my phone until today as I mentioned above as far as files go. If I don't know what something is, I'm definitely not going to mess with it-lol.

duck on quack

Reaction score
Motoblur is actually a customized user interface by Motorola which comes stock with the Droid 2 and Droid X. It's basically a modified version of the Android OS with a focus on social networking through widgets and other services. I think you may have it confused with something else, but the word "junk" does describe it pretty well. Myself and others consider Blur be an unnecessary memory hog, so we run custom ROMs to eliminate it; others don't mind it. :)

Anyway, I'm not sure why the files are duplicating themselves. If the ringtone appears in your list when you complete the action through Android System (and plays correctly), it might not be worth the hassle to seek out the duplicates. Certain apps may indeed duplicate the files, though. For example, I used a Ringdroid-like app to shorten a song I had on my phone into a short ringtone, and it creates a new file in the /sdcard/media/audio/ringtones directory. There should be options within these apps to set the downloaded or modified files as ringtones; have you tried that? For example, in Zedge: go to Downloads, Ringtones, choose any one you have, and press "Set".

If you really want to find the extra copies, though, you could use an app like Root Explorer or ASTRO File Manager to search for the name of the file. This should turn up multiple copies if they indeed exist, and you can delete them that way.

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
Perhaps I mis-spoke about MotoBlur, it's Moto something. I hate to knock the wrong product.

Thanks, I did look through Astro and saw the duplicate files but like you said, it's not worth the time fixing it if I delete the wrong file and have to start over.

I did see some programs that were for developers who" rooted" their phones, can someone like me use it to manage files or would I do more harm than good?

Also, if. I were to add ringdroid, could I then delete those files I made and Ringdroid will create the correct file? Just curious because others have suggested that program for Ringtone issues.

Thanks again. Happy New Year!

duck on quack

Reaction score
If you rooted your phone, it would be possible to delete files or apps within the /system directory that you normally couldn't modify. There are easy methods to root nowadays, but I wouldn't recommend it without a certain level of technical knowledge. Look around these forums or XDA for more info.

When you edit the mp3 in Ringdroid, you can indeed delete the original file; again, though, it's not really necessary. :)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
eg146

eg146

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the help. I think I'll stay away from rooting but your Ringdroid idea is just the solution I needed. It worked perfectly and now I feel comfortable deleting the duplicate file and not spending 3 hours fixing it :)

Happy New Year and thanks again!