Please HELP. Confused about ROMS, Wiping Data/Cache, ECT.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by M.Weezey.Baby, Jan 7, 2011.

1. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

So I am new to the whole rooting scene and before I go messing with things to much, I wanted to get some questions answered.
    I have a Motorola Droid FRG83D, and rooted using RSD lite. I have both SDRecover and ClockworkMod Recovery.

As for ROMS, the only way I have been able to figure our how to push things on my phone is the Update.zip method. So basically, I was wondering what ROMS are compatible with either SDRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery. And which ROMS are recommended?

Whiling reading up on ROMS, I see most of them tell you to wipe data/cache before installing. If I do this what information do I loose? I have installed Titanium Recovery [just the lite version, I'm broke] I have backed up all of my apps and system data. So, will they be there after I flash a ROM or will I have to go back and download all of them again? Also, I have synced my Gmail account to my droid. I know that it backs up your contacts, but what else does it backup?

Thanks so much in advance for all the help. :]
  2. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

You can install any rom in an update.zip file through SPrecovery or ClockworkMod. With sprecovery the file HAS to be named update.zip. With Clockwork you can leave the zip file named as it is. I recommend trying out different Rom's till you find which one suits your needs.

When you wipe data and cache you basically put the phone back at a stock state but you don't lose root. Your apps and contacts should sync back up for you but you will lose the data to the apps. But with an app like titanium backup you can easily restore data to the apps.

Any other questions?
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

all roms are compatible (if theyre made for the D1) - just with clockwork you dont have to rename the zip file you can choose it.

wipe data will delete all user data so its best to look into an app such as titanium backup or mybackup pro to carry apps over. dont restore system data though, only user apps and data. just redownload titanium backup from the market then start doing the restores.
  4. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

Thanks you both for getting back to me so quickly :]

What ROMS would you recommend?
    I am trying to be careful and AVOID bricking my phone. So I'm just being cautious lol.

I feel much better about the whole wipe data/cache thing. Thanks again. Also, where do I look to find ROMS?

Are themes also flased like ROMS?

[Sorry for so many questions]
  5. OneTenderRebel

I don't want to recommend a ROM simply because I think all the Rom's out that DroidForums support are great, if you do it properly, not a single one of them have the potential to brick your phone.

You can find Rom's here.... Custom Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Themes are flashed just like rom's but you do not need to wipe data and cache. But I always recommend if you try a theme and don't like it, not to flash another theme over the top of it without wiping.
  6. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

Thanks again :] I really appreciate it. You helped me a lot and saved a lot of stress and worry :]
  7. OneTenderRebel

No worries, feel free to ask any question you need to. The people in this forum are awesome and no one will call you out for asking a "dumb" question, cause if they do we roundhouse kick them in the teeth.......ok maybe not but the Mod's here do an awesome job of keeping every thread civil and everyone is treated with respect.
  8. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

Haha, that's awesome :]

I did think of another question.
    Do ROMS effect what Themes you should use?
    Like, do I need to make sure they are compatible or anything like that?
  9. OneTenderRebel

yes, when you chose a ROM you need to make sure you apply the theme that is connected with that ROM. Most themers are awesome enough to port their themes to most if not all the ROM's so there is no shortage of themes to chose from. Again though you do definitely need to make sure you are flashing the proper theme for whichever ROM you chose.
  10. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

Also, How can I tell how many MHz my phone is running on?
  11. OneTenderRebel

12. M.Weezey.Baby

M.Weezey.Baby New Member

Thanks again :]
Search tags for this page

flask stock rom does it wipe data

what does wipe data/cache do