Please Help Clear My Confusion

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Taco, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Taco

Taco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to start off by saying that I have google'd and searched this forum for my answer and I have a sense of what I want to know, but haven't really gotten a solid Yes/No answer on my questions.

I am running Android 2.2 FRG01B Stock on my Droid1. I have NEVER rooted or installed any sort of recovery programs. I was originally content with using Stock 2.2, but lately it's just not doing everything I want and I now want to root my phone. This brings me to my questions:

1. Using Universal Androot, will I always have root super user after a reboot, or will that new recovery code wipe it out every time?

2. Can I install SPRecovery or Clockwork onto my phone? Will it work? And how would I go about doing this?

3. This goes hand in hand with #2 I suppose. If I desire one day to flash a custom kernel or a ROM would I be able to flash back to rooted 2.2 FRG01B and then unroot using Universal Androot. (Just in case I have to take my phone into Verizon).

4. Or do I have to flash back to stock, and will the steps in the above threads work on 2.2?

My reasoning for #3 is that I have read places that people rooted Using Universal Androot, then flashed a custom rom, and upon unrooting they were stuck on a rom without root. I don't know how true this is as I have never tried anything like this before.

Any/All help would be greatly appreciated. I would appreciate direct answers to my questions, because I just can't take the run around any more ... I really want Super User on my phone!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. xkape

xkape Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I would say go get yourself RSD Lite and the SBF file and root it the rock solid way. Yes you can go back to stock. In order to get rooted, the way I know how takes about 15 minutes or less. You take the phone back to 2.0.1 and then you can install a 2.2 ROM or install a rooted 2.1.

3. Taco

Taco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your time. I would probably go about this method if I ever plan on installing custom ROMS!

However right now I only plan on overclocking my Droid and would like more information on Universal Androot and stuff surrounding that I suppose, If you or anyone else knows anything else that would be great.

4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,656
    Taco, please see my PM.