Please help - Can't Boot past white screen

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
I downloaded a zip file for a Slayher ROM and attempted to use ROM Manager to install it. I slected "Install ROM from SD Card" and then "OK". I had already have a recovery backup saved so I skipped that option. A confirmation message popped up and I selected "Ok". The phone booted into recovery, ran an operation and then rebooted. The white HTC screen came up and it froze there. I had to remove the battery to shut it down. I can get into clockworkMOD recovery and navigate from there. I tried running the recovery-update.zip file but smae result. Keeps freezing at the white screen. I tried data and cache partition wipes, no change. I tried doing a fatory reset several times from the bootloader and it just keeps going into recovery mode with the message "E:Invalid command argument". Selecting "wipe data/factory reset" seems to run ok but when I reboot, same white screen.

ANY help or suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its an AOSP rom and you might have an Slcd screen. Try flashing this kernel over it and see it boot up for ya.

Index of /htc/inc

Its a kernel that supports the Slcd

OP
RuLEoF2

RuLEoF2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for gettiing back to me. I fixed it eariler this morning. Just haven't had a minute to sit down and post an update.

Around the time I downloaded the Slayher ROM, I also downloaded CyanogenMod6 planning to try both at some point. After trying everything else to fix my problem, it occured to me that I could try loading the CM6 ROM from recovey mode and if it worked, go from there. It worked and I was able to use ROM manager to restore from my recovery-backup. Now, thanks to TBU and MyBackup, I'm back to where I was before the crash.

I will probably go back and explore the Cyanogen ROM. But in the meantime, any ideas on what went wrong? Was it what I did or a software issue? And... what can I do to avoid this in the future?