Please help. Bootstrap back up issue.

pandawok56

Reaction score
I'm new to these forums so I'm not really sure if this is a known problem but I'll give you guys a little background of what lead to my issue.

So I rooted my Droid X last night using SuperOneClick and worked fine. Downloaded a bunch of root apps including ROM Manager and Bootstrap. I backed up my phone using bootstrap perfectly fine and everything was working good until this afternoon when I did another backup after getting rid of a few old unused apps. During the back up process, my phone crashes and goes into the reboot screen. It stayed on the M logo for a good half hour. I finally pulled the battery and loaded into recovery mode. I attempted to restore my backup from the previous night multiple times but it kept freezing in the middle of the process. After several battery pulls (I know not a very good idea but i didn't know what else to do) my X finally turned on normally but it was like a brand new phone. I don't know much about the backup process but from what I've read, my phone is supposed to be just like how it was, now restored.

I've linked my google account so I can get everything back, my photos/videos are still there and from the apps that I've tried to use, they're like the way they were (haven't tried any games yet because theyre still downloading).

However I'm tempted to try another attempt at loading my back up now that I'm home but is it a good idea? Or is linking google accounts the way bootstrap backs up apps? My phone is currently still downloading all my old apps that i got off the marketplace so I might just wait until thats finished, then maybe think about.

Thanks so much for the help :)

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I understand what your trying to get at, but your terminology is a bit off.

Bootstrap- lets you boot into clockworkmod recovery

Clockworkmod recovery - allows you to make a backup and flash roms and themes.

ROM manager - flashes clockworkmod recovery and also lets you make a backup.

It sounds like with all the battery pulls your phone manually reset. You may end up with more issues from this but only time will tell. I always say read, reread, and reread again, then watch the YouTube video before trying something new with your phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
P

pandawok56

Reaction score
Yea sorry I'm really tired and I'm trying to fix my phone before I go to sleep. But yea I understand the function of each app and what clockworkmod is.

So to make it clearer and more up to date, I copied this from a different forums post that I made looking for help.

-I used bootstrap for the X to create a FIRST back up last night which worked fine.
-Then today i decided to make a SECOND back up because I deleted a bunch of apps and bloatware however my phone crashed and booted to the M logo and became stuck in a bootloop.
-Did a battery pull and went into the recovery menu.
-Restored the FIRST back up but my X constantly froze in the middle of the process.
-I pulled my battery after waiting a while and repeated the above step.
-After several frezzes and battery pulls, I rebooted normally through the recovery menu.
-After my phone booted, I found it to be like it was right out of the box, except for the fact its still rooted.
-After linking my gmail account I re-downloaded most of my apps i got through the marketplace.
-I just finished dowloading most of my apps of the marketplace but I've found that a majority of them force close shortly after opening.
-Now I'm attempting a last try at loading the FIRST back up but at this moment it's frozen at the same spot it has been (if it helps, it says its restoring data "[email protected]")

I think I might try and leave my phone for a little bit and see if it'll just load after a bit. But if not, I might just try to start from scratch.

Also I used SuperOneClick to root my phone. I was running Froyo but by rooting a Droid, that overwrites the stock OS with a different one right? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to rooting, but not new to unlocking devices as a whole (modded wii, cfw on psp and jailbroken several ipods) so I'm not completly clueless lol

Last edited: