Please help before I throw my phone in the river

darkserpant

Reaction score
i keep getting a chiming notification and a message that pops on the screen for a split second saying "1 read sms" Up on the notification bar there is nothing about this. Just a dinging sound with this spit second notification. There are no voicemails no missed calls no texts that I didnt read. i have no idea where to go to find this so called sms. I am new to this phone. Could somebody please help as soon as possible. Im going crazy. thanks

OP
D

darkserpant

Reaction score
No I didnt install any apps lately and I turned it off and back on if thats what you mean. That didnt do anything.

pool_shark

Reaction score
What app is notifying you of the message? Is it the default text messaging app, a 3rd party app, or a reminder app?
You can try a battery pull. While the device is powered on take the battery out, put it back and turn it on.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .You can try a battery pull. While the device is powered on take the battery out, put it back and turn it on.

That sounds like a remarkably bad idea. You could easily end up with corrupted files that way.

It was my understanding that when you pulled the battery you should shut the phone off first then pull the battery for at least 30 seconds. The reason for the battery pull is to help make sure that all RAM completely resets.

This is a fairly common practice among technicians throughout the electronics industry. You never force a shutdown by pulling power unless you have no other choice.

droidman101

Reaction score
. . .You can try a battery pull. While the device is powered on take the battery out, put it back and turn it on.

That sounds like a remarkably bad idea. You could easily end up with corrupted files that way.

It was my understanding that when you pulled the battery you should shut the phone off first then pull the battery for at least 30 seconds. The reason for the battery pull is to help make sure that all RAM completely resets.

This is a fairly common practice among technicians throughout the electronics industry. You never force a shutdown by pulling power unless you have no other choice.

Nope, it doesn't do anything bad, I assure you, lol

sent from my shadowROM droid :)

pool_shark

Reaction score

Lets see, battery pulls have been done for years on Palm devices, blackberry devices, and android devices as a means to fix problems with unknown causes. They are even recommended by tech support on a regular basis.
I assume you don't read much about the devices.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .Nope, it doesn't do anything bad, I assure you, lol. . .)

I wouldn't expect it to, most of the time. Most modern systems protect themselves from unexpected shutdowns, partly by writing new files before erasing the old ones. Still, these protections fail from time to time.

The question is, even if the risk is small, what benefit to you obtain by doing it. What will pulling the battery while powered on do to help as opposed to the safer practice of pulling it after shutdown?

If this really does trigger some sort of repair or reset of the phone's software it makes sense. Otherwise it is a bad practice even if you can get away with it 99.9999% of the time.

Understand I come to this from the viewpoint of a long time (even old time) technician. Experience says don't do crap to equipment without knowing why you are doing it. So, I want to know why pulling the battery with power on is a good/better idea than pulling it after power is off.

pool_shark

Reaction score
. . .Nope, it doesn't do anything bad, I assure you, lol. . .)

I wouldn't expect it to, most of the time. Most modern systems protect themselves from unexpected shutdowns, partly by writing new files before erasing the old ones. Still, these protections fail from time to time.

The question is, even if the risk is small, what benefit to you obtain by doing it. What will pulling the battery while powered on do to help as opposed to the safer practice of pulling it after shutdown?

If this really does trigger some sort of repair or reset of the phone's software it makes sense. Otherwise it is a bad practice even if you can get away with it 99.9999% of the time.

Understand I come to this from the viewpoint of a long time (even old time) technician. Experience says don't do crap to equipment without knowing why you are doing it. So, I want to know why pulling the battery with power on is a good/better idea than pulling it after power is off.

With your device it's your choice, don't do it. Others have done it for years with absolutely no issues whatsoever, and as previously stated, it is often recommended by tech support.

By the way, typically data corruption only occurs if the file is being written to at the time of the power loss.
That is from my extensive experience working with various flavors of Unix (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX) with various databases (Oracle, DB2, Informix).

Last edited:

trook

Reaction score
if it is popping up in the notification bar, tap the notification bar and drag it down to the bottom and it should have the message notification link you can tap on. Also if your running stock messaging you can try deleting all messages by going into your messages, press settings (4 squares) then delete all. Let us know, someone here will know what to do.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Have been, every since I posted my first question. Other than the short section in the user's manual about a crashed phone I haven't found answers. Yes, it is recommended, a lot, and done, a lot, but I haven't found anyone explaining why. And they seldom say whether they shut the power off first or not.

Note, at this point I'm not really caring about how many people do it or if they have problems. Lacking any contrary evidence I'll take your word for it. I'm just curious about what it does that is different from powering the phone off first. Call it the remnants of a misspent career. I like to know why things work.

and in the aftermath I realize I've been guilty of thread jacking. My apologies. I'll be looking for the answer, if any is to be had, quietly in the time out corner.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
Have been, every since I posted my first question. Other than the short section in the user's manual about a crashed phone I haven't found answers. Yes, it is recommended, a lot, and done, a lot, but I haven't found anyone explaining why. And they seldom say whether they shut the power off first or not.

Note, at this point I'm not really caring about how many people do it or if they have problems. Lacking any contrary evidence I'll take your word for it. I'm just curious about what it does that is different from powering the phone off first. Call it the remnants of a misspent career. I like to know why things work.

and in the aftermath I realize I've been guilty of thread jacking. My apologies. I'll be looking for the answer, if any is to be had, quietly in the time out corner.

I'll tell you this. My phone hasn't produced a sound when I get a phone call in probably 2 days. The phone lights up, the headset tells me who is calling, but the phone won't ring. Turned it off and on, it still didn't work, did that several times.
Left it on, yanked the battery, put it back, turned it on, called myself, the phone rang.