Please help! 3G Issues!

Slider11

Reaction score
So i've had a droid x/x2 for about 2 years now. I live in a very rural area, and get good 3G service here(Thank god). Meaning, I rely, depend, need my 3g. Either my 3g or crappy satellite internet. A while ago, I learned about Barnacle Wifi Tether, and have been using for about 6 months now. I first started using it on a X2. It worked GREAT for about 5 months. Recently, I had to replace the X2 with another X2. Since then, issue after issue have sprung up with Barnacle. Now, every other day or so, there is a period of about 10 hours where if I connect to barnacle, and use ANY internet service(Using Web Browser, Playing Games) my ping INSTANTLY jumps to well above 5000, and it has even been over 10,000. It's normally around 190-200. The download speed also goes from around 200Kb/s to 1Kb/s, MAYBE 2. What really gets me about this... Is that when I check the phone, It has great service, 4 bars, and is looking great. WHAT IS GOING ON? I DESPERATLY need to get this fixed.. Please help!

OP
S

Slider11

Reaction score
Please! Does anybody know what MIGHT be going on??? I DESPERATLY need this internet for school and other uses. I cant even load web pages anymore.. it took me about half an hour just to load this page alone.. Not including the time it took to load the home page then find this section. PLEASEE!!!!

desertknit

Reaction score
It might be barnacle. Try a different wifi app and see if that works. Foxfi is pretty good..

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
S

Slider11

Reaction score
Tried FoxFi, I also used PdaNet for a while before. PdaNet and barnacle have worked GREAT before this. 1, I can't even connect to FoxFi from my computer... 2, PdaNet, aswell as just using the browser on my phone(without tethering) increases lag. It can't just be the tether app.

desertknit

Reaction score
It could be your new X2... An awful lot of people are getting ota/"surprise" updates on their phones that are playing havoc with tethering apps.
If you still have your old X2, check and see what versions of android it had, and what version of verizon it had. And then see which ones are on the new X2.
The only other thingI could suggest is maybe one of your neighbors is using your wifi too. But you do have security and password setup on it, right?

desertknit

Reaction score
Actually, since you mentioned just using the phone browser produces the same problem...you may be getting "throttled". That's the cell phone company's term and their response if they think you are using too much data...they slow you down--A Lot!

OP
S

Slider11

Reaction score
Figured it out. I went to the Features on my online bill, and saw "NETWORK OPT". In other words, Verizons way of throttling.