Please advise - how to ditch TP2 for DX?

theTastyCat

Reaction score
Hey all - thanks for reading.

I've had a VZW Touch Pro 2 since it came out, but had an absolutely aggravating experience with it. Incredibly laggy, buggy, and maddening. I watched a youtube review/demo of the Droid X, and there is ZERO comparison - the responsiveness alone is unbelievable. Couple that with the fact that everything Google touches turns to gold...I need a Droid X!

Here's the rub - I'm 8 month away from a New Every 2. Is it worth paying my $89 deductible to Asurion, and try to resell whatever they're sending out these days? Don't suppose they'd hook me up with a DX...

Or I could try to sell my TP2 on Ebay being honest about its failings, which I'm pretty sure are hardware-related.

What do y'all think?

Please help me get to DroidX land!!

Many thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
id say its not worth the 89 for a refurb TP2. maybe call VZW and see how much they can move up your renew date

OP
T

theTastyCat

Reaction score
Wow - didn't know they were willing to move up the upgrade date. Mine is currently 5/15/11 - is this common?

Many thanks for the reply.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow - didn't know they were willing to move up the upgrade date. Mine is currently 5/15/11 - is this common?

ive seen it moved it up a lot from 2 months. idk about 8, but maybe knock off a few of those months..

Droid_Vader

Reaction score

ive seen it moved it up a lot from 2 months. idk about 8, but maybe knock off a few of those months..

My NE2 was not up until 12/23/10 but I called VZW CS and told them I have had nothing but problems with my Blackberry Storm . The lady was very nice to me and she approved me for an early upgrade on the spot. Now I have a shiny new DROID X and it's freaking AWESOME!!

OP
T

theTastyCat

Reaction score
Droid_Vader, you have filled my WM-crippled heart with hope.

dancedroid

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

dancedroid

my brother just ditched his TP2 for a D2 and is reaping the benefits - CS reps will do what it takes to please the customers so befriend one then ask :)

OP
T

theTastyCat

Reaction score
This is a breath of fresh air - I posted this question at PPCgeeks both in the TP2 and Droid X subforums - ZERO replies. I really appreciate the help.

Yeah, this is by far the best idea yet - what I don't need is for them to try to send me another TP2 (which would probably be a refurb anyway) - even if it worked flawlessly, it could never touch the Droid X.

Tomorrow will be a banner day! Thanks all for the great advice.

Droid_Vader

Reaction score

dancedroid

I was turned down the first time I called and asked for an early upgrade though. So I called right back after I hung up with the first CS Rep I spoke to and the next lady I spoke 2 was more than happy to upgrade me.

So if you decide to call tomorrow and the FIRST rep tells you NO be POLITE tell them THANK YOU and then call back again and speak to someone else. Not all Reps are the same and most of them are willing to go that extra mile to help you and they are more than willing to lock you in for another 2 years lol...

P.S. When I upgraded I chose to sign a 1 year contract instead of a 2 year. It will cost you $70 more for the 1 year but it's worth it to me. I would rather have an upgrade every 10 months (1 year contract) vs 20 months (2 year contract).

georgepink

Reaction score
my suggestion: work them as much as you can and bite the bullet, you will not look back. Mighty Mike's and Big's roms were great (if you were a flash junky like me :) ), but the X experience (5 weeks in) is far and above a better device. I'm hooked....

Wall.E

Reaction score
What about annual upgrade? This allows for discount pricing every 12 months, even on a 2 year contract....you just don't get any additional savings you would normally get with NE2.

What has worked for me in the past is contacting customer service (*611), but hit the selection for technical support. Tell them your TP2 is nothing but problems, and that it will hard reset on it's own causing you to loose all of your contact, calendar, etc. information. It seems that technical support is more willing to make a sale and allow the upgrade.

However, I specifically asked CS about 1 year vs. 2 year contracts and they told me that with a 2 year contract, you can still get an upgrade in 12 months (annual upgrade), just no NE2 additional discount. I still opt for the 1 year contract (was $30 more at the time I ordered the X) which allows for an upgrade in 10 months (also without NE2 discounts).