PlayStation Vue

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Last night Sony revealed their cable cutting program. PlayStation Vue will allow users to watch Fox, Showtime, HBO, and more from their PlayStation. And news that is sweet to a cable cutter's ears is the ability to pay per channel. PlayStation Vue will be available starting July 20th.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does the PlayStation Vue change your decision on purchasing a Nvidia Shield Android TV?

It does for me.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No but I may get a PS4 now...

You can *TAG* shows and it will save a month's worth of them. Someone has finally solved the "Live TV and DVR-like ability" issue.

//EDIT// Crap. Works on PS3 too?? OK, no one tell my wife that. :D

I'm totally trying this if/when when it comes to CLE.

Last edited:

JRParsons

Reaction score
I have no problem with this product, but I see a problem with what it will lead to. If your like most people you get your Internet from your cable company. As soon as the cable companies see a drop in cable subscriptions alongside increased data usage you know we will start paying by the gb for our Internet.
There is clear precedent, the wireless companies, of which we are all familiar with, used to charge for minutes and give you all the data you wanted. Fast forward 10 years and you'll see that the equation has flip flopped. Because people could make calls using data. Your cable company isn't going to sit back and let you watch something for free, they're going to find a way to charge you for it.

OK rant over.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You could be right, but IMO cable doesn't want to just become a broadband company. More likely, IMO, cable companies (and satellite) start offering more options packages then just the handful they offer currently.
#optimist

TapaTurbo

JRParsons

Reaction score
I agree with you, I enjoy the option packages through my current provider, and overall am happy with them. I also agree that they are all trying to offer more than their competitors. I guess I'm just try to say "you heard it here first" when you have to choose between a 5gb, 10gb, 20gb etc package. Because nobody is subscribing to traditional cable.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no problem with this product, but I see a problem with what it will lead to. If your like most people you get your Internet from your cable company. As soon as the cable companies see a drop in cable subscriptions alongside increased data usage you know we will start paying by the gb for our Internet.
There is clear precedent, the wireless companies, of which we are all familiar with, used to charge for minutes and give you all the data you wanted. Fast forward 10 years and you'll see that the equation has flip flopped. Because people could make calls using data. Your cable company isn't going to sit back and let you watch something for free, they're going to find a way to charge you for it.

OK rant over.

You are right and we are seeing some of that now. But we also have companies like Google Fiber to help push the pricing in the consumers favor, unfortunately Google's slow roll out will limit its effect and cable companies know that. So in areas without the threat of Fiber may see their pricing increased or packages designed to make it a challenge to go with internet only.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here are the packages for Playstation Vue

• $49 plan for the Access Plan
  • $59 plan for the Core Plan
  • $69 plan for the Elite Plan
Right now the service is only available for residents in Chicago, New York City, LA, Philadelphia, and San Francisco.

Personally the plan looks too much like the plans I can get with Comcast or Charter. I am not looking to repeat what the cable companies are doing but go the opposite. In fact I would be better off sticking with the cable plans in comparison as I would have access to more sports channels. So right now I'll pass on the PS Vue unless they update their plans.

Source: Plans PlayStation Network