PlayStation-Android Phone

S

SEGA

The PlayStation Phone

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!
PlayStation Phone details

mtavenger55

Reaction score
Looks pretty cool. That would be nice if a full qwerty keyboard was included.

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
I thought I wanted that new EVO-ish device. But now this? Sony+Android= Awesome

Plus this will be awesome for my SNESoid emulator and such.

DKunch

Reaction score
Im sorry but i think this is just a tad but ridiculous... ... i mean i guess for a teenager of about 14-15 that wants a phone and a PSPgo.. this would be the ideal solution... But i think this is a lil unnessicary... im all for phones that are far more then phones, i love my droid but this is just a little to far in my opinion lol.

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
Im sorry but i think this is just a tad but ridiculous... ... i mean i guess for a teenager of about 14-15 that wants a phone and a PSPgo.. this would be the ideal solution... But i think this is a lil unnessicary... im all for phones that are far more then phones, i love my droid but this is just a little to far in my opinion lol.

I'm with you... haha. It's cool, but a little over the top.

DKunch

Reaction score
I like how the front of the phone looks how the 4 buttons at the bottom are kinda arched... thats nice looking... if they made this phone with a pull out keyboard instead of a video game pad... this could possibly be a competitor but i think this will appeal to strictly youngins who will beg mommy for it. I do wish some other phone manufacturers would implement the arched rounded keys... i think thats a nice touch rather then boring straight across... just more visually appealing

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
no different than the R2D2 targeting a specific audience. Nothing like fragmenting an already diluted market some more with more gimicky phones.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I like how the front of the phone looks how the 4 buttons at the bottom are kinda arched... thats nice looking

I agree.

This just doesn't appeal to me. I want to like it because I am a huge gamer, but I can't help to think that the battery is gonna be killed because of that games. It has nice things to it like the sony market. I also like that it has a gaming pad on it but I think they could have made it a QWERTY keyboard and made the controls apart of that.

The screen looks too small for it to be used only using the touch screen. No QWERTY. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

mjforte

Reaction score
If only they could make a phone they has a full qwerty keyboard that somehow slides away to reveal a gamepad too. That would be awesome. Don't know if that would be possible but who knows?

DKunch

Reaction score
If only they could make a phone they has a full qwerty keyboard that somehow slides away to reveal a gamepad too. That would be awesome. Don't know if that would be possible but who knows?

See that i could see... but then it would be like carrying a brick in your pocket. But there is a phone out there i believe its a PanTech phone that has a slide out number pad as well as a slide out keyboard... if they could do something along those lines that could be a nice phone for someone who is addicted to cell phone games... but thats gonna be an insanely thick phone. the Android market offers plenty of addicting games to keep anyone busy (Angry Birds).. specializing it with a video game phone that will be dead after 3 hours of playing time... thats just stupid. Scratch this idea, save the mothers of the world loss of voice from screaming at their prepubescent boys that HAVE to have this... and just put a slide out keyboard on it and make this phone a competitor not a joke among android devices

Reaction score
Wow. This looks ridiculous. I still haven't decided if it is a good or a bad thing yet.