Playing music on car stereo. FM Transmitter, BlueTooth or USB

VTNomad

Reaction score
I would like to integrate my phone (Motorola DROID) and my car. I would like to be able to:

• Listen to MP3's stored on my phone over the car speakers.
  • Listen to the SiriusXM app on my phone over the car speakers.
  • Listen to voice navigation on my phone over the car speakers.
  • Maybe listen to phone calls over the car speakers as well.
What is the best way to integrate the phone with the car stereo?
  • Can I do all of the above with and FM transmitter, or via BlueTooth, or a wired USB connection?
  • Is one of the methods superior for sound quality?
I've got a 2004 Jeep Liberty (stupid Chrysler 1.5 DIN slot) with a Pioneer AVIC-N3 in-dash navigation installed, but I'm not that fond of it. The AVIC has navigation and SiriusXM, but I use my phone for for both most of the time now. I could eliminate the AVIC if my phone and car become one with each other. I'm completely out of touch on car stereo technology. I was thinking about replacing the stereo and was wondering if there was a unit that would make this integration easier.

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Pyzon

Reaction score
If you want to replace the head unit in your vehicle, take a look at a replacement that has a bluetooth receiver built in, which would make the connection with your Droid wireless. The other sources of your music and satellite receiver would require a wired connection via the auxiliary input (3.5 mm) of the new head unit.

The bluetooth as well as the wired connection would be far superior in terms of fidelity than using an FM transmitter.

Another option would be to convert the non-bluetooth sources to bluetooth using a bluetooth transmitter and receiver combination which would mean no wires hanging between the music or sat source and the head unit.

I would recommend searching Amazon for the bluetooth transmitter/receiver, try using the term "BlueBridge" in your search.

Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Digital Cameras is a fantastic source for aftermarket car audio hardware and all the advice that you need to make a decision on what to buy.

brando56894

Reaction score
USB or Audio-out would be your best bet. FM Transmitters are horrible and I dont know what the quality of Bluetooth connections are since I never use them. Myself I use Audio-out.

dkelly701

Reaction score
I replaced my factory radio with this bluetooth radio from Crutchfield and it is great. I bought a cell phone mount from ebay. I mounted it on the "face" of my dash, just below an AC vent. This mount has the advantage of keeping the phone out of the sun, which can cause overheating during the summer.

When I stick my phone to my dash, it launches the car dock automatically because of the magnet. I did have to flip the manget because it initially lauched the home dock instead of the car dock. I have an app called Setting Profiles which allows me to set a profile that automatically turns on bluetooth when the car dock is launched. Fifteen seconds later my phone is automatically synced to my radio without me doing anything except sticking my phone to the dash. You can even have Setting Profiles automatically launch an app such as Pandora is you mostly listen using a single app.

I am no audiophile, but bluetooth streaming sounds perfect to me. It actually sounds better to me than the radio. Best thing is there are no wires and no worry about problems with the audio jack on the droid. I listen to either audiobooks using Ambling Book Player, Pandora, or Slacker. My radio has a 6 disc CD changer and I have never put a CD into it! I listen to the radio rarely.

If you go this route, be sure to pick a radio that streams media. Many are just for handsfree phone calls and do not stream media.

Emmexx

Reaction score
I replaced my factory radio with this bluetooth radio from Crutchfield and it is great. I bought a cell phone mount from ebay. I mounted it on the "face" of my dash, just below an AC vent. This mount has the advantage of keeping the phone out of the sun, which can cause overheating during the summer.

When I stick my phone to my dash, it launches the car dock automatically because of the magnet. I did have to flip the manget because it initially lauched the home dock instead of the car dock. I have an app called Setting Profiles which allows me to set a profile that automatically turns on bluetooth when the car dock is launched. Fifteen seconds later my phone is automatically synced to my radio without me doing anything except sticking my phone to the dash. You can even have Setting Profiles automatically launch an app such as Pandora is you mostly listen using a single app.

I am no audiophile, but bluetooth streaming sounds perfect to me. It actually sounds better to me than the radio. Best thing is there are no wires and no worry about problems with the audio jack on the droid. I listen to either audiobooks using Ambling Book Player, Pandora, or Slacker. My radio has a 6 disc CD changer and I have never put a CD into it! I listen to the radio rarely.

If you go this route, be sure to pick a radio that streams media. Many are just for handsfree phone calls and do not stream media.

Total agreement here. Bluetooth streaming is the way to go. The phone is basically one multimedia device that hooks into your car audio system via bluetooth and you play what you want. I had that in my old Monte Carlo.

A secondary path to go is to pick up a Motorola T505. It is a wireless FM transmitter to your radio that operates via bluetooth. Do a search on that and check it out. It runs around 60 dollars in my area. I only have to change the radio station if I do any lengthy driving. I use this in my Malibu now. I plan on switching stereos, but not until my warranty runs out in a year or so.

Either option should work for you in regards to the connection, but a stereo with built-in bluetooth would definately have advanatages over the transmitter. Especially if you are only going to be using one vehicle.

Just my thoughts :)

crf450

Reaction score
I have my Ipod hooked to my stereo with av inputs and usb so I can listen or watch video. Can I hook my droid up same way? Don't want blue tooth.

crf450

Reaction score
Don't want blue tooth.
I cannot oversell the bluetooth route, friends. No cables between devices, and perfectly acceptable audio quality once the pairing and connection take place.

Again, I am already a big fan of the BlueRidge BT receiver found here:

Amazon.com: Miccus BluBridge mini-jack Rx: Portable, Bluetooth Music Receiver with Stereo Output (1/8") for Home and Auto systems: Electronics
I'm a little confused. Can I hook it up to my stereo with the usb cable? I dont have a 3.5 mm jack on my stereo.

Pyzon

Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Can I hook it up to my stereo with the usb cable? I dont have a 3.5 mm jack on my stereo.

If you have RCA inputs, you're golden, the BlueBridge gizmo comes with an adapter cord that converts the 3.5mm output to RCA.

Wait a minute......Are you talking about home stereo or car stereo ? I don't think most car stereo outfits have RCA inputs........But if you have a cassette deck, use one of those cassette to 3.5mm things. If again you are talking about car and have neither one, well you are screwed, other than a FM transmitter, which usually sucks on performance.

crf450

Reaction score
[/quote]If you have RCA inputs, you're golden, the BlueBridge gizmo comes with an adapter cord that converts the 3.5mm output to RCA.

Wait a minute......Are you talking about home stereo or car stereo ? I don't think most car stereo outfits have RCA inputs........But if you have a cassette deck, use one of those cassette to 3.5mm things. If again you are talking about car and have neither one, well you are screwed, other than a FM transmitter, which usually sucks on performance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I do have RCA in. I will have to give it a try. Thank you so much. I almost didn't get this phone because I didn't know how to do this. How do I keep it charged? USB?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know what the quality of Bluetooth connections are since I never use them.
Not as good as hardwired but many won't notice the difference.

Not unless your device specifically supports audio out via USB. If it doesn't , all you can do via USB is connect your device and access music on your SD card if your head unit supports it.

Wait a minute......Are you talking about home stereo or car stereo ? I don't think most car stereo outfits have RCA inputs.
Depends on the head unit. Some do, some don't. Features vary from head unit to head unit regardless of the specific feature you're asking about.

But if you have a cassette deck, use one of those cassette to 3.5mm things. If again you are talking about car and have neither one, well you are screwed, other than a FM transmitter, which usually sucks on performance.
Not necessarily. There are aftermarket aux-in adapters for some factory stereos.

How do I keep it charged? USB?
Yup. Unless you intend to install a PowerMat or similar in your car.

Last edited:

Pyzon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crf450
How do I keep it charged? USB?
Yup. Unless you intend to install a PowerMat or similar in your car.

Or....maybe a cigarette lighter (now called a power source outlet ) charger
cord !