Playing music on a JVC car radio?

jrossi85

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy an Android phone, but the one thing that's holding me back is I am unsure of the capability the Android OS has to stream music to my car stereo (particularly, a JVC KD-R800). I know Android phones are no iPods, but I would really prefer them over the iPods because of the other features. For iPod users, the stereo allows for direct control of the music right on the stereo itself.

Has anyone had any experience with playing music with an Android phone on a JVC stereo? If so, how is the playback, and is direct control possible using the stero interface?

Toxik916

Reaction score
I stream music from my Droid to my JVC stereo flawlessly via bluetooth.

FDFTW!!

Reaction score
Bluetooth is bluetooth is bluetooth. As long as your stereo supports A2DP profiles, it should work.

OP
J

jrossi85

Reaction score
Thanks for the information so far. The connection used to control the device was via USB, not bluetooth. The radio wasn't able to read a Droid that my friend had when I connected it with a USB cable. I didn't want to pair my friend's device with my stereo's bluetooth, so I didn't have a chance to try that. I didn't think I would be able to control on the stereo face plate with the bluetooth though.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
For iPod users, the stereo allows for direct control of the music right on the stereo itself.
That's because of proprietary iPod interfaces built into head units that have them. They're not germane at all to Android.

Has anyone had any experience with playing music with an Android phone on a JVC stereo?
You'd need to find someone with the same or similar model as JVC (like any other manufacturer) makes a range of head units.

The connection used to control the device was via USB, not bluetooth. The radio wasn't able to read a Droid that my friend had when I connected it with a USB cable.
Was the SD card mounted? Keep in mind that connecting via USB will only grant the head unit tha ability to read music stored on the SD card. You can't stream music via USB.

I didn't want to pair my friend's device with my stereo's bluetooth, so I didn't have a chance to try that. I didn't think I would be able to control on the stereo face plate with the bluetooth though.
Why not? If you want to find out it's the best method. If your head unit has A2DP support you're good to go. If it's headset only then you won't be able to stream music and will have to look into using line-in or some other approach.

Don't forget to check the Accessories subforum. There are a quite a number of threads in there about connecting a Droid to a head unit.

Last edited: