Playing it safe.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by zaldonisj, Feb 9, 2010.

1. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So basically my phone is all scratched up because I am an idiot and dropped it a few times. I was rooted with SholesMod Updater. I had their 2.0.3 rom on all of last week. (i know, i am a noob when it comes to this. I have only been rooting for a week.) Today, i switched back to the stock rom because i figured i would just get the OTA coming out. I also figured that i would take devs about a day to figure out how to root the 2.1 update. High and low, through sholes updated i have used their 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 roms and they are both on my sd care. As long as i am at stock and i take my cell to verizon to get it switched up they shouldnt kill my warranty, right? I was thinking should i go so far as to delete the .zips off of my sd card and delete the SholesMod Updater app as well? (i can always get them back as i have them purchased) To what extent do you all think I should go to make sure they dont kill my warranty?

Thanks

*Also, sorry if something like this has been posted; im new.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. nbobinchak

nbobinchak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to do that. Also make sure that you're not only flashed back to the stock ROM, but completely un-rooted. You can tell if you're rooted or not by whether or not there is the "Superuser Permissions" application in your app drawer.

3. xabeon

xabeon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Err you know assuming they could root the 2.1 update was a bit presumptuous, not exactly a concern for you at this immediate moment but consider that google could've easily pushed a patched 2.1 (they quickly fixed the 2.0.x upgrade exploit) that didn't allowing rooting

4. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This debate has been going on since the OTA was announced. I have seen people on both sides of the argument. Are you familiar with sholesmod? If so, is it possible for me to stay rooted. Mess around with all the mods that will be coming out for the phone. and when i need to get work done on my phone just revert to stock version. then install the OTA update and verizon will never know?

Also, if i just root it with SholesMod Updater will this disable the OTA update? or will i have to Deny it when it offers me the chance to update.

Yet another question that comes to mind is, what if they roll out the update and i am rooted. It realizes i am rooted and my cell bricks...

Sorry for all these questions and concerns. The topic of this is moving off track of the title a little bit but oh well. Thanks for all your help.

5. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    a good way to tell is
    a)look for superuser.apk, if no, go on
    b) try to use a root ONLY app, if no, go on
    c)use astro and look in /data and if you see basically nothing, if no, go on
    d) when you go into recovery mode you see the regular stock recovery image.

If ALL of these come out as a NO for you, youre good to take it into verizon, this means youre completely unrooted. and you CAN delete it off your sdcard, but no real need to, you can just tell them you were thinkin about it lol thats even IF they ask

6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    PLus your gonna want to pull the sd card. Some folks have reported getting "new" phones without the sd card. At least be aware of this.

Craig

7. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how are you planing on swapping after you damaged the phone anyways? they wont warranty your phone because you dropped it.......

8. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so true.... lol

9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +165
    I was thinking the same thing.

If someone is going to do a warranty exchange, obviously don't be rooted, although many techs wouldn't know the difference anyway, but once un-rooted, backup your pictures, music, etc. and do a format of the SD Card.

10. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and if you want to use an asurion claim it doesnt realy matter what you did to it

11. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well boys and girls, if you tell verizon that your phone is dropping calls, you dont know why, and that you have gone through all the troubleshooting steps they willi most likely just give you a new one.

thats what they did with my blackberry.

12. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone answer these questions?

13. Guchi

Guchi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried that one time and they said its probably because i dropped it........

14. the3dolla

the3dolla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well..

Well that just a bit ridiculous.. guess someone feels they are entitled to something new because they, themselves broke it, eh?

Just like my sister who works at Bed Bath and Beyond says. Someone brings a turkey roaster back the day after Thanksgiving and says, "It didn't work" even though you can tell it worked and they used it.

Don't really like these leeches on society.

yea yea, so mean.. sometimes the truth comes off as mean

15. zaldonisj

zaldonisj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are totally entitled to your opinion. Not really all that concerned though... as i will have a new phone!

Its okay im not insulted!