Played with a Droid X today

DirtDog

Reaction score
I must say I am really impressed with this device. It feels really well constructed and the screen is really spectacular. I didn't mind the bump at the top because it served as a nice place to rest my index finger while i was holding it. I also really enjoyed typing on the larger screen. The HTC Incredible felt like a toy compared to this thing.

That being said, I really didn't dig the moto blur UI and if I won't be able to change the UI it might be a dealbreaker for me. The HTC Sense UI seemed much more polished and intuitive. I'm in a bit of a predicament because I really need an Android phone ASAP. I have been using this terrible LG phone that is 3 years old and I can't go another 6 months waiting for the Droid 2 to come out. Should I save my upgrade for the Droid 2, and just buy a Droid 1 right now? I really like how customizable the Droid is, with all these cool ROMs and UIs. I LOVE the Droid X as a piece of hardware. The idea of having a 4.3" high res screen is really appealing to me. I just don't want to deal with not being able to root it, and having all these stupid preloaded apps that I can't delete. What would you guys do if you were in my boat? Buy the Droid X and use my upgrade? Buy the Incredible? Or buy the Droid and overclock it and put a sick custom ROM on it?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I must say I am really impressed with this device. It feels really well constructed and the screen is really spectacular. I didn't mind the bump at the top because it served as a nice place to rest my index finger while i was holding it. I also really enjoyed typing on the larger screen. The HTC Incredible felt like a toy compared to this thing.

That being said, I really didn't dig the moto blur UI and if I won't be able to change the UI it might be a dealbreaker for me. The HTC Sense UI seemed much more polished and intuitive. I'm in a bit of a predicament because I really need an Android phone ASAP. I have been using this terrible LG phone that is 3 years old and I can't go another 6 months waiting for the Droid 2 to come out. Should I save my upgrade for the Droid 2, and just buy a Droid 1 right now? I really like how customizable the Droid is, with all these cool ROMs and UIs. I LOVE the Droid X as a piece of hardware. The idea of having a 4.3" high res screen is really appealing to me. I just don't want to deal with not being able to root it, and having all these stupid preloaded apps that I can't delete. What would you guys do if you were in my boat? Buy the Droid X and use my upgrade? Buy the Incredible? Or buy the Droid and overclock it and put a sick custom ROM on it?

The X will get rooted, you may not be able to load customs roms on it though. If you hate the UI, you can always use Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher in the market, if you don't have an Android phone, search it on Androlib. If you love Sense UI, you may want to get the Incredible. Just keep in mind it has weak graphics processing powers, so it's not the best if you plan to game.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

droid 2 release date isnt 6 months away, expect it in about a month/6 weeks

and the droid X isnt for sure unrootable, so who knows

Trash Can

Reaction score
I can't speak specifics about any Droid phone yet because I'll be getting my first this week.

That said, I would never buy any device that I don't like now. I would get the one you really want, even if it means waiting a little while.

I suppose you could try the X, especially since you like the hardware. Maybe the UI and other features will grow on you? If not, return it within the 30 day trial period and get something else.

OP
D

DirtDog

Reaction score
oh i didn't realize the release date was so soon. do you think it will take the droid 2 a while before it gets rooted like the droid x?

OP
D

DirtDog

Reaction score
and if i use launcher pro or ADW launcher will i be able to delete some of the preloaded apps?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
For all we know the droid 2 could have the same locked bootloader the droid x.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Balthazar B

Reaction score
oh i didn't realize the release date was so soon. do you think it will take the droid 2 a while before it gets rooted like the droid x?

I'll stick my neck out and predict that the Droid 2 will get rooted within 2 weeks of when the Droid X gets rooted. If ever, of course.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I'll stick my neck out and predict that the Droid 2 will get rooted within 2 weeks of when the Droid X gets rooted. If ever, of course.

they have two different release dates do idk how that prediction is relevant

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
A few things here (hope this helps):

1. The X's skin is not MotoBlur. It is a very scaled down version of MotoBlur and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Installing ADW or LauncherPro will make it feel and look just like vanilla Android 2.2.

2. The Droid 2 will be released soon, but it will be running the same skin as the X currently has.

3. The Droid 2 will almost certainly have a locked bootloader, just like the X. Both will likely be rooted eventually, but that will not allow you to load custom ROMs.

4. If loading custom ROMs is a must have, Motorola probably isn't the way to go for you anymore unless you stick with the original Droid. They seem to be intent on locking down their phones now just as they did with the Milestone and now the X. The original Droid was apparently the exception to the rule for them.

Last edited:

EgooEspada

Reaction score
A few things here (hope this helps):

1. The X's skin is not MotoBlur. It is a very scaled down version of MotoBlur and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Installing ADW or LauncherPro will make it feel and look just like vanilla Android 2.1

2. The Droid 2 will be released soon, but it will be running the same skin as the X currently has.

3. The Droid 2 will almost certainly have a locked bootloader, just like the X. Both will likely be rooted eventually, but that will not allow you to load custom ROMs.

4. If loading custom ROMs is a must have, Motorola probably isn't the way to go for you anymore unless you stick with the original Droid. They seem to be intent on locking down their phones now just as they did with the Milestone and now the X. The original Droid was apparently the exception to the rule for them.

The Droid 2 wont have the same skin as the Droid X, it'll be stock 2.2. Which is why it was pushed back to August instead of being launched with the Droid X.
Also, the Droid 2 might not have the locked boot loader if Google is backing this device up like the original Droid. Which they might, considering its stock 2.2 and not skinned 2.1.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens though..