Play Nintendo's Virtual Boy Games On Google Cardboard!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Virtual Reality has always seemed to be Unicorn on a Gum Drop mountain. It was never really attainable. We finally have the computing power, and the hardware to finally make VR viable. Many tech companies today are envisioning a world where our Virtual lives are as important as our Reality lives. They hope to one day keep us constantly in front of their products and revenue streams. I for one am not in favor of such a future, but feel like I could find some enjoyment of an immersive gaming environment.

Nintendo struck out big time in the world of virtual reality back in the 90's. The Virtual Boy was worlds ahead of technology, but was no where near where it needed to be to be truely be marketable. My mom would not buy me one, but she did rent the console from Movie Gallery for me for a week. I had lots of fun with it, but it was probably for the best that I never owned it. It was too clunky needing a desk or table to rest it on. The graphics were what you could expect from the computing power of the Super Nintendo. Still there are many enthusiasts that would love to have a VB unit of their own.

You no longer need a Virtual Boy console to get your nostalgia fix. In fact if you have a Google Cardboard you have what you need to play Wario Land, or Mario Tennis. Setup is not too difficult it will require that you get your hands on the neccesary roms. You will also need the VRidge app. Grab what you need from the link below.

via Reddit

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed the virtual boy, a friend of mine had one and I played this game for hours... granted my eyes are already incredibly messed up and I don't get headaches easily... I'm going to definitely be giving this a try... looks awesome.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I just watched a video in 3D by just simply holding the phone in front of my eyes and doing the direct-eyed viewing. It looks pretty neat and I really enjoyed not just the fact that you have two different scenes moving at different rates of Speed to give you the 3-D effect, but the ability for the little Wario Mario guy to jump back and forth between the near field and the distance field to complete various levels.

I'd love to have it in full color on a VR. I do now own the Samsung Galaxy S 7, so I may just go out and pick up the most recent Gear VR. I did have it for a while but took it back before I bought the S7 because I'd hoped it would work well with my Turbo 2, although the Turbo 2 is unfortunately just a tiny bit too long and too wide to fit comfortably in the device without really stressing it. Now that I have the S7, I can watch in full color and full VR without worrying about damaging the device or my phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I just watched a video in 3D by just simply holding the phone in front of my eyes and doing the direct-eyed viewing. It looks pretty neat and I really enjoyed not just the fact that you have two different scenes moving at different rates of Speed to give you the 3-D effect, but the ability for the little Wario Mario guy to jump back and forth between the near field and the distance field to complete various levels.

I'd love to have it in full color on a VR. I do now own the Samsung Galaxy S 7, so I may just go out and pick up the most recent Gear VR. I did have it for a while but took it back before I bought the S7 because I'd hoped it would work well with my Turbo 2, although the Turbo 2 is unfortunately just a tiny bit too long and too wide to fit comfortably in the device without really stressing it. Now that I have the S7, I can watch in full color and full VR without worrying about damaging the device or my phone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Except the virtual boy is only shades of red.... I wonder how hard it would be to rom hack it and allow full colour

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk