droidprincesstx
I have one spot left!

from my sexy edge+

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You mean you don't want to share your account with your friends here at DF.net? You could probably find 6 friends here that would enjoy hopping on your account.
$3 bucks a person. 1)How do I collect payment each month? 2)How do I know they'll pay 3)Too much hassle.

I found someone who uses it. He and I could pay $7.50 a month. But $2.50 a month savings really doesn't do me much good. I can burn that in 5 minutes of driving my car.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There is a way. After they accepted your invite, open the Play Store app and select My Account > My Family - Manage Family Members > Tap their name > Select Requires approval for in app purchases.

I know the info published by Google said that this would be set to No Approval by default, but my wife and daughters are all set to Requires Approval by default. Since I am the "account owner" I have to approve if they try to use my payment method to purchase music. I think that's how it works.

I thought that was for "in-app" purchases? Like can't they still purchase apps, movies, books without my permission?

from my sexy edge+

I just checked on my son's phone...he has to enter my password for the transaction to go through. So, that is a plus!

from my sexy edge+
This was my concern as well, since I created a separate Google account for my Stepson on the N7 I gave him when I got my new tablet.

The way I understood everything I've read was that it blocks using the family payment method for In-App-Purchases, but other purchases could still be made.

So, I'm glad to see you guys are experiencing it needing to have a password to use that payment method. I haven't logged in to his tablet as him and accepted the invite yet, but I'll definitely be checking into whether he can purchase any apps or anything. He's only 6, so I don't think he quite grasps the concept of the Play Store yet, because we've always just had stuff installed on our phones or tablets for him, but I'm sure he'l find his way in there some day, so I want to be prepared.

This kinda answers the question for us about how to provide a bit of an allowance for him to purchase games and stuff for the tablet though. Now we should be able to authorize payment through that family account instead of having to make sure we buy credits or refill a reloadable Visa card.

As for being On-Topic, I went ahead and signed us up (obviously). Even though the boy probably won't use the Music for a while, I like the idea of the family plan. I was on the $7.99/mo Music plan and my wife had the $9.99, so we're saving a little bit each month, but we've also got space to add family members as we need and get the full value of the subscription.

WORD TO THE WISE THOUGH!!! If you're inviting someone who already has an individual subscription, when I set this up for my wife, her individual subscription still showed on her account, so I had to manually remove it. I'm not sure if they would've caught that she was now on a family plan or not by the next time she was due to be charged, but I didn't want to take the chance that we'd be basically double billed for All Access.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I finally had a chance to sit down with both of my girls and explain the new Play Music Family Plan tonight, and how it works, don't use the Family Payment option to buy things etc. They were so excited they ran into their rooms to start downloading a bunch of songs. You would have thought Santa just stopped in! Very cool, Merry Christmas from Google.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I finally had a chance to sit down with both of my girls and explain the new Play Music Family Plan tonight, and how it works, don't use the Family Payment option to buy things etc. They were so excited they ran into their rooms to start downloading a bunch of songs. You would have thought Santa just stopped in! Very cool, Merry Christmas from Google.
Are you adopting?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
A family that doesn't use music....seems boring...

from my sexy edge+

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We're country folk...not much cell coverage