Play Music Family Plan

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I looked around and didn't see this discussed anywhere else yet. Looks like the Google Play Music Family Plan subscription went live yesterday. Very cool! With a family of 4, I have been waiting for Google to finally allow a family subscription to their music service. I set it up this morning and looks like we can all download music to our hearts content for one low monthly fee. Thanks Google!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I now see verge has info on it. I'm surprised I didn't get this in my news feed. Sounds like a great Idea. I just need a family now.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just happened to browse through the Google News tech section this morning and saw it. I signed us right up.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Huh, for some reason I thought @dgstorm covered this yesterday.

I am still waiting to be able to sign up. I have been hitting refresh on my Music since yesterday.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Huh, for some reason I thought @dgstorm covered this yesterday.

I am still waiting to be able to sign up. I have been hitting refresh on my Music since yesterday.

I could not find any threads about it, kind of figured there would be one, but did not see any.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I signed up last night and got my family all set up! I couldn't see passing it up! Only part that makes me nervous is it sets a default payment method for the entire family and my boys are young (10 and 8), theycould easily bill apps, books or movies to my account. I don't see a way to prevent this...so I just sat them down for a mom talk...we will see how well that works.

from my sexy edge+

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I signed up last night and got my family all set up! I couldn't see passing it up! Only part that makes me nervous is it sets a default payment method for the entire family and my boys are young (10 and 8), theycould easily bill apps, books or movies to my account. I don't see a way to prevent this...so I just sat them down for a mom talk...we will see how well that works.

from my sexy edge+

There is a way. After they accepted your invite, open the Play Store app and select My Account > My Family - Manage Family Members > Tap their name > Select Requires approval for in app purchases.

I know the info published by Google said that this would be set to No Approval by default, but my wife and daughters are all set to Requires Approval by default. Since I am the "account owner" I have to approve if they try to use my payment method to purchase music. I think that's how it works.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
There is a way. After they accepted your invite, open the Play Store app and select My Account > My Family - Manage Family Members > Tap their name > Select Requires approval for in app purchases.

I know the info published by Google said that this would be set to No Approval by default, but my wife and daughters are all set to Requires Approval by default. Since I am the "account owner" I have to approve if they try to use my payment method to purchase music. I think that's how it works.
I thought that was for "in-app" purchases? Like can't they still purchase apps, movies, books without my permission?

from my sexy edge+

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I just checked on my son's phone...he has to enter my password for the transaction to go through. So, that is a plus!

from my sexy edge+

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought that controlled using the payment method for the account owner, but I could be wrong. So if my wife wants to buy a song outright, or an app, she can still do that with her credit card...but if she tries to use my payment method associated with our new "family account" she would need my password. That's how I interpreted all of that legal mumble jumble.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I thought that controlled using the payment method for the account owner, but I could be wrong. So if my wife wants to buy a song outright, or an app, she can still do that with her credit card...but if she tries to use my payment method associated with our new "family account" she would need my password. That's how I interpreted all of that legal mumble jumble.
Yes, exactly!

from my sexy edge+

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
See... this is the thread covering it! Great work! lol!

Seriously though, sorry I didn't get time to post anything. Feel free to share more details about it here!

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Same here. I don't have any family or friends who use google play music.
You mean you don't want to share your account with your friends here at DF.net? You could probably find 6 friends here that would enjoy hopping on your account.