Plastic pits and scratches so easily!

jaseman

Reaction score
Why cannot they make these EXPENSIVE phones out of tougher plastic? One little drop and there are pits and scratches all over this thing! :angry:
I should not have to pay 30 - 50 bucks for a case to protect a $700.00 phone from a little drop! :mad:
If they can make the cases out of material that is so tough why don't they use tougher material on the sides, front, and back??? :angry::mad:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My Ottorbox still have some surface scratches on it from being in my pocket or laying on a desk and being moved.

Don't think making a phone out of that material would matter. They can't make one out of rubber and they need to keep them light.

Might be the time now to get a case and prevent future scratches. Sorry your baby got scratched I know I would be upset if mine did too.

But then again I see the value and need for a case and screen protector on all my phones. I am too anal to have a device itself get damaged over a case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why cannot they make these EXPENSIVE phones out of tougher plastic? One little drop and there are pits and scratches all over this thing! :angry:
I should not have to pay 30 - 50 bucks for a case to protect a $700.00 phone from a little drop! :mad:
If they can make the cases out of material that is so tough why don't they use tougher material on the sides, front, and back??? :angry::mad:

Cost and weight. The composites to make I durable will cost money ...much more than the 699 799 price range. And since metal don't flex well for molding we get the plastic we see. with that said you can buy full phone protectors like the screen protectors. in fact when I buy my razr hd I will get one since the battery isnt removable.

Sent from my Full AOSP on Toro-VZW using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Cost and weight. The composites to make I durable will cost money ...much more than the 699 799 price range. And since metal don't flex well for molding we get the plastic we see. with that said you can buy full phone protectors like the screen protectors. in fact when I buy my razr hd I will get one since the battery isnt removable.

Sent from my Full AOSP on Toro-VZW using Tapatalk 2

I use the military shield full phone protector kit on both of my maxx's.. its a pain to install but worth it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Had to add.. the zagg is good too, but I don't like the feel of the zagg on my screen.. to much friction.. no glide.

Also, the zagg and the military shields body kits are very different as far as approach for installation and the cut of the pieces..

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who is on an internet forum for "Phones" Devices/Pocket computers probably cares enough about said devices to know all to well that gut wrenching "AHHHH!!!!! I DID NOT just DO That, Dropped my Phone" Feeling.

That's why I have an OtterBox Commuter (Yes, I know. IF I really cared it would be a Defender) the Commuter is a "Balance Struck" for me between protection and sanity.

Cover up your warts with a case and protect the devices functionality from the "Next Drop" - It is.....inevitable.

brucefulton

Reaction score
My cases and protectors all develop pits and scratches. I'm not sure what your point is. I put on a simple cheap case and screen protector simply because pits and scratches happen. I'd rather they happen to the cheap case and screen protector than the expensive phone case and display screen. Since I always recover pretty much my full cost on ebay when I upgrade to the next and greatest, I think these are a good investment. Over the past four or five phones, my net cost, because I keep them in mint condition, has been pretty much zero per upgrade.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Anyone who is on an internet forum for "Phones" Devices/Pocket computers probably cares enough about said devices to know all to well that gut wrenching "AHHHH!!!!! I DID NOT just DO That, Dropped my Phone" Feeling.

That's why I have an OtterBox Commuter (Yes, I know. IF I really cared it would be a Defender) the Commuter is a "Balance Struck" for me between protection and sanity.

Cover up your warts with a case and protect the devices functionality from the "Next Drop" - It is.....inevitable.

You mean like this?? Lol

Tuna62

Reaction score
Tip for you zagg users.... If you don't mind the expense, you can use "monster electronics cleaner" (its in a blue bottle) sold at best buy ($20). It makes the screen protector as slick as a bare screen for at least a full day if not two, depending on phone usage.... As in, you eat a bag of darritos and use your phone. I use it religiously and don't even notice the zagg on my phone.

jtc303

Reaction score

No case, no screen protector... 3 months and it looks brand new
View attachment 52904

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
No case, no screen protector... 3 months and it looks brand new
View attachment 52904

And I genuinely wish you continued "Best of Luck" because that's what it is...... Only takes one drop.
My one Son seems to enjoy good luck as well the other Five(5) of us not so much.
IF I walked around ALL day Every day with my Laptop I'd have that in a case too....Oh wait! I DO! :biggrin:

ricks

Reaction score
I hold my phone like i'm holding a baby... You just can't drop it. I like my phone naked and I keep it looking like new because of this.

jtc303

Reaction score
CaptainSS said:
And I genuinely wish you continued "Best of Luck" because that's what it is...... Only takes one drop.
My one Son seems to enjoy good luck as well the other Five(5) of us not so much.
IF I walked around ALL day Every day with my Laptop I'd have that in a case too....Oh wait! I DO! :biggrin:

Some people are just more careful... just like with cars... some people are mindful and some arent... I did this with my last phone and it looked brand new when I sold it... thanks tho

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sort of like debating which ice cream flavor is best...... IF simply being careful was all there was to life than Many would NEVER ever have anything Bad happen. There are things called "Accidents" and yes even folks who are very very careful have them.
But anyway, It is a FREE Country (sort of) and thank goodness we can at least choose TO or Not To cover our phone/devices (at least for now):blink: Fast Food and Large Sodas are under attack so who knows .......