plastic film

jweber

Reaction score
Valeria from Motorola

Message.gif
Valeria: Hi, my name is Valeria. How may I help you?
Message.gif
James Weber: I just received my Motorola Droid and there is some questions on the web on if the thin plastic film on the back of the slider screen is to be removed
Message.gif
Valeria: Yes, is a plastic to protect the phone until is received by someone.
Message.gif
James Weber: Ok I wasnt sure because there is no tab on it like the plastic on the fronts screen or the one on the battery
Message.gif
James Weber: It looks like it is ment to be permanent
Message.gif
James Weber: I just didn't want to remove it if it was required to keep the slider operating properly
Message.gif
Valeria: Yes, that one is just for sealing protection.
Message.gif
James Weber: ok
Message.gif
James Weber: thanks

So as per Valeria from Motorola I removed the film. and it looks much nicer. Onced removed it looks nicer and slides better.

Last edited:

capitan

Reaction score
My only concern is that once the film is removed, the screen will slide too easily. Is that not the case?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Message.gif
Valeria: Hi, my name is Valeria. How may I help you?
Message.gif
James Weber: I just received my Motorola Droid and there is some questions on the web on if the thin plastic film on the back of the slider screen is to be removed
Message.gif
Valeria: Yes, is a plastic to protect the phone until is received by someone.
Message.gif
James Weber: Ok I wasnt sure because there is no tab on it like the plastic on the fronts screen or the one on the battery
Message.gif
James Weber: It looks like it is ment to be permanent
Message.gif
James Weber: I just didn't want to remove it if it was required to keep the slider operating properly
Message.gif
Valeria: Yes, that one is just for sealing protection.
Message.gif
James Weber: ok
Message.gif
James Weber: thanks

So as per Valeria from Motorola I removed the film. and it looks much nicer. Onced removed it looks nicer and slides better.

Thanks for the post, clears everything up.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
My only concern is that once the film is removed, the screen will slide too easily. Is that not the case?
It does slide easy when you want it to. It still clicks into place open and shut and it isn't loose or anything. That film is way too thin to make THAT much of a difference. The phone isn't going to slide open when you tilt it to the side or anything lol it just slides smoother.

capitan

Reaction score
that's exactly what i was worried about, anyways just peeled it off it looks much better, and you're right it doesnt make that much of a difference, it just looks cleaner

OP
B

bobneumann

Reaction score
just got off the phone with Verizon and Motorola. they both said you are suppose to take it off. said if it leaves makes on your phone and if it does its a defective phone and its free of charge for a new one. motorola said they opened and closed the phone 100,000 times (i thought that was a bit much lol) when testing and it doesnt leave marks. i took mine off and its looking good so far. doesn't open that much easier but it slides better. i give it a yes for taking it off
cool.gif

tubatime1010

Reaction score
Before someone flips out...the lines on the back on the screen's slider ARE normal. They are not the marks in question.

The ones Moto was talking about were the ones you likely saw on your plastic film before you took it off! Except it's only bad if you see those on the metal!

cizake

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't even notice it before reading about it here. Took mine off and sliding is indeed easier.
Thanks everyone.

m0nkee

Reaction score
Yup, took mine off and it does slide better..same material that came on the front of the phone so I do recommend taking it off!

grim64131

Reaction score
sweet, just took it off, i have a plastic case on the phone though which I am somewhat worried about making marks on the phone, it is an OEM which I purchased from verizon for the droid specifically but still worried

mathiastck

Reaction score
Can we sticky this thread?

Great thread, cat it be stickied, or added to a FAQ thread which is stickied?

calpilot7

Reaction score
I will leave mine on. I don't want to rip off a piece that can potentially protect the phone. Also..my phone keyboard slides perfectly as is. Not too easy and not too hard. It would bother me to have the screen slide out on it's own. Protective piece stays put on mine.